Hey guys,

I've started bass fishing in Boston, MA since last summer. I was wondering if anyone knows any good pond/lakes to fish that are accessible by public transportation since I don't have a car. I mainly fish at the Brookline reservoir, Jamaica Pond, and Charles River.

Thanks in advance

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Houghton's Pond in Milton is OK. No boats allowed, high traffic. It was stocked with trout in the past. Crowded in Summer.

Ponkapog Pond in Canton is great for car-top boats. Good bass and Pike sized Pickerel.

Blue Hills Reservoir, Quincy, is a young pond (2008 - 09) was very good a few years ago, but people take the bass home so the population is way down.

Whitman's Pond in Weymouth has a nice boat ramp, is supposed to hold BIG bass, though I've not found them yet.

Can't help you north of the Neponset River Bridge....

This might help: http://www.mass.gov/eea/land-use-habitats/

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks for your recommendations! I have more ponds to try out during this summer.
What kind of lures do you use for bass? I'm obsessed with jigs and t rigs, do these work well?

Thanks

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm

They work awesome!!

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:01 am

I have my best luck with Senkos & T-rigged worms, some luck with jerk-baits (Rapala being my favorite), and one California Rainbow on a jig.

I've never used jigs that much. It's a goal this season to focus on them and see what I can learn.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:07 am

jig fishing takes more effort to learn but is very rewarding. it will be frustrating at first with lost fish. but once you get the hang of it it is downright addictive.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:45 am

Get a yearly pass at Charles River Canoe and Kayak, they have 5 different locations that are accessible by public transportation. There is plenty of fish in the Charles, especially the lower end.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:17 am

thelucky

Get a yearly pass at Charles River Canoe and Kayak, they have 5 different locations that are accessible by public transportation. There is plenty of fish in the Charles, especially the lower end.

Terrible suggestion. That company needs to go out of business! Haha.

That's what it's like fishing the Charles now. None of these people get out of the way! So obnoxious.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:40 pm

kenwood

thelucky

Terrible suggestion. That company needs to go out of business! Haha.

That's what it's like fishing the Charles now. None of these people get out of the way! So obnoxious.

Couple paddle boarders and kayaks are nothing. When you have a 6 year old kid driving a duck boat at you when your fishing the lower end and 30 people on board all yelling "quack quack" at you is when things start to get real.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 am

Last year when I fished the Charles, I swear there were a dozen of them every 20 feet. I have on video someone in a kayak cutting me off and shouting "WATCH OUT!" Haha. I have never had to use the boat's horn until that tournament, and I used it all day! No one would move out of the way. So annoying.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am

It's so annoying! People won't move, especially dog owners... No offense to anyone with dogs, but I have had so many situations when the dog owners let their dogs run free and the dogs scare away all the fish.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:52 am

You guys are all fishing the wrong sections of the Charles. The sections I fish I hardly ever see anyone else on the water.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:42 pm

I've seen a few people on paddle boarders around the Esplanade, but never cared about them since it's not like I own the whole place. I always bank fish, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Forgot to mention that I've been huge bass in the Muddy River as well, behind the MFA. a few of them kept attacking my frog. They were all 3+lb

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 pm

From the Newton/Brighton ramp to the Esplanade is the absolute worst. I fish the NEPVA tournament out of that ramp every year, and it is the most obnoxious tournament of the year. You will be fishing the shoreline and a group of 20 kayakers will start heading your way. They won't move out toward the middle; they'll split and 10 will go around the left of your boat and 10 will go right, and a bunch of them will ask you how the fishing is going. Haha.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links