hey everyone,

originally from rhode island but recently came out to central mass for awhile. used to fish all the time when i was younger and got back into it again the past few summers. 99% of the time i catch and release, but there are a few times a summer i will go out fishing for some catfish to fry up creole style. so please, if you see me out there with my bucket, don't be a hater, and yes i do have a fishing license (haha i have read some of the threads here). if you see me with a bucket and using bait, it's gonna be on one of my bullhead adventure days. otherwise if i am just bass fishing for sport, they all go back in the water (well, unless i get a few small perch i can use for cut bait later). aware of the mercury and pcb's in much of the water, but i probably only eat catfish maybe 3 times a year.

which brings me to my question...can anyone recommend any lakes or ponds here in central mass that are shore fishing accessible at night? wachusett and some of the reservoirs are off limits at night, so i'm looking for new spots where night fishing is not off limits so i can try to grab a few bullheads. thanks.

cool site btw, finding it very helpful.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 am

First off welcome to MAFF.
Secondly I'd try Brigham pond in Hubbardston. I've had some good days in the past there catfishing. I'm still looking for a good spot in Central Mass. for Channel Cats though.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 am

I was told the Bell Pond in Worc and of course Lake Quinsig have Bull heads and Channel Cats. Thats something I would like to try myself. Welcome aboard..

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm

thanks guys for the welcome and the feedback. will have to check out that pond in hubbardston soon, have fished in worcester before but its been awhile. only place i have ever heard in the state that consistently produces channel cats is the connecticut river, but i stay away from eating anything from there because of it's advisory. it's a pretty long drive too, trying to find spots around worcester county. appreciate the suggestions.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

the Sudbury river between Sudbury and Wayland on rt 20 is loaded with 2 to 4 lb catfish. Ocasionally you get an eel, there are also l.m. bass and pecrh there

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Capeverdean I just remembered years ago we did well on catfish an the Ware river in Barre on Rt 122. There is a wide area of the river with a beach. We used to walk through the woods from Coldbrook Campground and fish there. Also stocked with Trout. Try there and let me know how you do.

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 am

thanks rokibass i will hit it sometime this upcoming week and let you know it worked out. sounds interesting.

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links