You need to rig a paddle keeper(small piece of bungee n a hook) and I use a small homemade hand paddle for while I'm fishing,as long as wind isn't too strong it works great for adjusting direction.I'll post couple pics of paddle keeper

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Yak Gear 6" Paddle Taco at Dick's Sporting Goods - on sale for $9.99. I put 2 of these on my old kayak with a bungee and hook that added greater security when my paddle was stowed.

Most of the time, my paddle lays across my kayak right in front of me. I move it diagonally out of the way when I need to, doesn't really bother me. The Ascend has two recesses in the cockpit rails for the paddle to rest in, so some times the paddle sits there. If I am anchored in a good fishing spot, I stow the paddle in the paddle holder on the side of my kayak.

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 am

Thanks for all the tips fellas.. I greatly appreciate your input! I'm gonna be catching Lunkers all day now...I got my first secret spot!

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:19 am

Nothing beats finding your first honey hole. Good luck out there!

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:38 am

Most of the time I just lay the paddle across my legs in the sit on top or across the kayak up close to me in the sit in kayak while fishing. If you practice you can hold your fishing pole with one hand and paddle one side at a time with one hand. I like to keep it close while fishing to steer if need be with one hand just by dipping the paddle in one side or the other to steer. Paddle keepers as others have said are really easy to make.. And they also sell clip in paddle keepers cheap. bungee works just as good.

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:42 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I give you yackers a ton of credit. It looks fun, but I think with my fat ass I'd be so uncomfortable most of the day, but I do like those pontoon type yacks with the elevated seats. Maybe some day?

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:32 am

I bought a 10' sun dolphin sit on kayak this year. I have got quite good at just resting the paddle across the kayak, and picking it up and using it with one hand. I do get a little sore after an hour, so I fish one side of my fav pond, come in for a quick stretch, then fish the other side of the pond. I am in search of a pad of some sort, I tried my cushion for my tree stand but that slides too much.

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:25 am

Practice practice practice!

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:14 pm

My Ascend FS12 sit kayak has the paddle keeper(small piece of bungee n a hook) and it has 4 notches to lay the paddle away from you or close to you across the cockpit and it has a very comfort seat to sit in for a long day out in the water. This is my first time with a yak and love it getting into those hot spots and in the weeds and a good idea to get a big Boonie Hat that cover your whole head an sun glasses.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links