Hello Thanks in advance for any help. I am setting my 14' grumman side console up for downrigger trolling at the Quabbin. I have fished the Quabbin and caught fish, but this is my first try with downriggers.
Any suggestions with equipment and lure selection would be greatly appreciated! I don't even know what size weight to buy!!!!

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:33 pm

have no idea on weights or down riggers, I've been trying to figure it out myself. when you get it all set and working let me know too! Love the Quabbin I just don't know much about it yet

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Generally, the heavier the weight the better when it comes to down rigger balls. It would also depend on the type down rigger you have. I prefer a 10-12 pound weight, as long as your down rigger can handle it. Some of the smaller ones can't handle that much weight. A heavier weight gives you less 'blowback' which means it hangs straighter down. This helps to accurately gauge how deep your lure actually is. For example, if you have a lighter weight your counter may say you are 90 feet deep when actually your lure may only be at 70. There are a lot of variables involved such as current, speed, etc. you will learn by experience.

As far as lures, anything that will imitate a smelt or maybe a small perch fry will do. There is a lure sold in Quabbin area shops called the DB Smelt. It is a very thin spoon that comes in a large variety of colors. They work well for both Salmon and Lakers. A lot of guys use small streamers trolled behind a small flasher and seem to do well. I have also had luck on Rapala types lures, the key being to use the smaller sizes. Salmon seem to prefer the smaller lures and they will take Lakers as well. For Salmon, I would start trolling around 30 feet down and see how that works. Lakers will most likely be deeper this time of year and seem to relate more to the bottom. Make sure you use a very light release because the smaller salmon might not trip it and you can drag them around without knowing they are even on. Good Luck.

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm

that explains a lot right there. Is there an option for me and my little bass raider? I'm just running a trolling motor but would want to know if I could use some kind of a set up on it.

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:33 pm

They do make small downriggers that clamp on the sides or backs of small boats. Not sure if they would fit your rig though. I imagine you could figure something out. Just check before you go to Quabbin because I don't think the boat you have pictured would be allowed there.

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 pm

q354fc

They do make small downriggers that clamp on the sides or backs of small boats. Not sure if they would fit your rig though. I imagine you could figure something out. Just check before you go to Quabbin because I don't think the boat you have pictured would be allowed there.

min length is 12 ft and has to be a real boat. also has to be washed and sealed before use at approved facility. best to read all the regulations on the website
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/water-res-protection/watershed-mgmt/quabbin-reservoir-fishing-guide.html#CanoeandKayaks

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the help q. My boat is a real side console fishing boat. I am going to buy a couple of Cannon Uni-Trol 10. I only want to do this once. I have fished the Quabbin ,but never had a lot of luck. Now i am retired and can give it the time it requires. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links