Have you ever gone Bass fishing at night?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

I have 2 little kids so it's hard to find time to sneak out and dip my stick on the weekends. I was thinking of trying some night fishing at the local lake.

Anyone have any experiences or tips? I would be fishing from shore so I'm wondering if i'm just wasting my time. How active/mobile are the bass at night?

I hear that topwater fishing is the way to go at night. Is that true?

Thanks
- Charlie

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am

my son and i tried it a few times just to try it.we fished from our kayaks i got the bright idea to take my 2 battery operated lanterns for light so you can see to take the fish off and bait your hook.big mistake i turned the light on an it was so bright i couldnt see a thing.your eyes need to much time to ajust when you turn the light on and off so that idea was out.so i went out and bought 2 head lamps with 3 settings plus red light for night.much better thats the way to go.works great as far as fishing at night it was a whole new thing the sounds the feelings it takes a little while to get use to it you cant see anything you have to use your other sences its a blast when you caught a fish and you cant see your line then when you get it to the boat you turn on your head lamp to red and you can see to take the fish off and rebait if you have never tried it take it slow be careful its a blast i will be trying it more this year. im going to go out even later at night this time mybe midnight?also try about 1 hour before daybreak i had some real good luck at that time.about 4.00 am.good luck.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am

definitaly worth it. Ive done a few times. Got to admit its about the only time I ues shiners. Big fish cruise flats an shallows at dark looking for food.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:01 pm

I haven't bass fished in ages period but most of my fishing when I did was at night. I grew up in Pa and loved going after Pike/Bass/walleye/cats and my one friend at the time worked 2nd shift so a lot of times night was the only option for us to hook up.

I would typically set up one rod with live or chunk bait and have another with top water plugs or Jitterbugs, the sounds plus the splash of a hit was pretty nice indication when it was dark.

One thing I will add is if you use a lantern, have a cover or tin foil or something to block the light off the water, the sudden bright light or shadows can spook many a fish that are cruising a lot closer then you may think.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Topwater at night is a beautiful thing. Black jitterbugs are the way to go.

I definitely agree with bobsdream about the headlamp--that's the way to go. I used to go out in the kayak with no light at all (private lake in PA), but started wearing the headlamp after I landed an unexpected walleye and cut my finger on its teeth trying to lip it like a bass.

It's a different world out there in the dark. Look for really quiet nights; moonlight is fantastic, but not necessary. Get used to using your ears. Listen to your plug splish and splash and ploop (don't forget a good long pause). Big, loud strikes in the pitch darkness are pure adrenaline. It's particularly fun from a kayak (nothing like a beaver suddenly splashing his tail right behind you to make you almost jump out of the boat) but great from shore, too. Especially in the hot summer, they come in to the shallows close to shore when it cools down. I've caught good size bass in darkness in places close to shore that are too busy with daytime human activity to fish effectively during the day. Also, they can't see you very well either, so they are easier to sneak up on.

In sum, after dark bass fishing is fantastic, I highly recommend it. You can catch good bass all night long on a calm summer night if you learn how to work a topwater plug with your ears.

Good luck!

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Better late than never for a response I guess.

Night time bass fishing is a passion of mine. I agree with several of the responses to this post. I have caught some monster bass this year and through out my fishing days from around 8 pm to midnight. Old faithful is a jitterbug, preferably larger size for maximum splash landing and sound when reeling in. I have also had great success with swim baits, again bigger the better- anywhere from 5 - 8 inches in length as the true Larry Lunkers lurk at night looking for smaller fish at the surface going after bugs and then smash. I would say at least 60% of my hits come within 5 seconds of the cast hitting the water so be ready.

I'm not much of a live bait fisherman, but again big fish go after big bait! If your going to throw out a shiner, make sure it's a good size.

The action is generally consistent at night but 30 minutes prior to the sun going down and up to one hour after darkness sets in is the best time to be angling. The calmer the night, the more feel and control you have.

Good luck!

Posted Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links