Does anyone fish the open rivers during the winter? I live near the mystic, and it seems like there is tons of good cover - docks/piers/bodies whatnot, and it never freezes over really, only the edges. Since its connected to the Mystic lakes, I would assume most of the fish head up that way for the winter, but I guess you never know, and that's not the only river in the area that remains open during the winter.

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:19 am

I do, a lot actually. I'm not a big ice fisherman though and I'd prefer to stay on my banks Smile Dun mind the cold though and have been out quite a bunch this winter all over the Blackstone. I've settled in to one spot for the most part as winter really dug in though because I carp fish and getting a swim prepared is a fight in and of itself somedays, but we have had some great sessions over the course and you can see some of that in my trips.

On a general fishing note, I do not see any reason all fish would go to the lake for the winter. In fact the opposite may hold true. If the lake is frozen then oxygen levels will be less then the open waters. Fish may move into those places if there is good cover, various water levels so they can adjust temps and food...it may be more beneficial to fish some of those spots then a hole in the ice.

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links