Does anyone have any tips for what lures to use for pike in either the Concord or Sudbury river? I have never fished for pike and Im trying to go this year. Any tips are welcome!

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 1:26 pm

fishandchicks

Does anyone have any tips for what lures to use for pike in either the Concord or Sudbury river? I have never fished for pike and Im trying to go this year. Any tips are welcome!

use saltwater top water baits

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 pm

fishandchicks

use saltwater top water baits

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm keeping that tip in my back pocket for when the kayak tournament hits Fairhaven in a couple weeks.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 2:44 pm

There's some big pike in Fairhaven bay. I haven't really targeted them but we've caught a couple and lost some big ones.
Good Luck!

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I got two there last August, without even targeting them, I was looking for bass. Very Happy

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I got one all the way on shore only to have it snap my line today.Was also fishing for bass.Hit a shallow diving square bill crank.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Ha, that's what I caught mine on too, in chartreuse.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Buzzbaits and frogs fished fast. Don't target them but theyre always a by catch on my trips there.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Don't forget larger floating Rapalas! Bass and Pike go nuts for all the fore mentioned lures, but I'm partial to Rapalas.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm

cant go worng with a spinerbait or a mepps number 5 aglia for pike

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Crank baits and spinner baits have worked well. But, the most and biggest pike I have hit on the Concord have come on ribbit frogs. Someone mentioned burning the frogs in and that has worked for me at times. But, keeping a high rod tip and moving just fast enough to keep it afloat has been killer. Shoot me a pm if you want.

Charlie

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

The NP in my profile pic was caught at Fairhaven on a spinnerbait with trailer. Catching her was a lot of fun, getting the hook out of her mouth wasn't as much of a good time Shocked

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm not a Pike Fisherman...although I would love to land a big one. I would think big topwater plugs, zara spooks and fast moving frogs would do the trick!

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

One more thing worth mentioning...if nothing is happening with your slow or fast retrieve, don't be afraid to change your approach. The fish will tell you what they are looking for.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links