Hey everyone, I am new to the site, my name is Mike, I'm from northern CT and been fishing the lakes that have been frozen in CT (Winchester) but it looks like we are done for the year for ice. But I just am curious if anyone got out this year and tried to fish for either Pike or Musky and if they had any luck. Looking to go next year and want to try and scope out a few places during the spring and fall.

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Welcome to the site Mike, I only know of one proven spot for pike and musky. it's the sudbury river. the ramp is in wayland ma. on shemans bridge rd. use the map view here on the top of the tabs to see where it is.
good luck and welcome again

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

msm07

Hey everyone, I am new to the site, my name is Mike, I'm from northern CT and been fishing the lakes that have been frozen in CT (Winchester) but it looks like we are done for the year for ice. But I just am curious if anyone got out this year and tried to fish for either Pike or Musky and if they had any luck. Looking to go next year and want to try and scope out a few places during the spring and fall.

Welcome to the site. Just curious when you say scope things out for next year? Do you mean next ice fishing season?
I have a couple leads on supposedly good ice fishing in Ct. I personally have never fished em.
Do you want to fish Mass? Ice or open water?
I was hoping to have a great Pike trip this weekend in Vt.But i have had other plans Arise and had to loose out on my trip unfortunately.
Good luck and let me now if i can be of assistance

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Well I was thinking of looking at spots regularly during open water season in spring and fall with my friend to scope out for next ice fishing season in next january or late december possibly. But yeah Winchester lake in CT we fished the last two weekends only got one pike that was 20 inches, the picture is in my pictures and i do know of other good spots for pike, but they didnt freeze well enough this year. Also if you want to know any good spots for pike in CT just let me know.

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 pm

And thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Honestly, I would stick to fishing for pike in your own state. MA has failed stocking program and has not had an active pike/tiger muskie stocking program since 2008. That being said many of the lakes in MA where they were stocked are hit pretty hard by anglers already. CT has from what I have read a great stocking program and many lakes have sustained reproducing populations of pike. Where as in MA only a few lakes are shown to have sustained populations of reproducing pike. If I where you and I don't want to spot burn, I would take a very long hard look at the Connecticut River system and it's tributaries that runs right through your own state. I know many anglers from MA that travel down there and do very well with pike.
EDIT
Wow! Just saw that you're from Enfield CT. Some of the spots on the CT River are only minutes from where you live.

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am

Wow! Just saw that you're from Enfield CT. Some of the spots on the CT River are only minutes from where you live.[/quote]

Yeah man, one of the better places we have fished is in longmeadow mass, the cove off the river there, the bad part is the weeds there after spring are so bad cant even cast there. But ice fishing is good there, it only froze for 3 days well enough to fish this year but was sketchy then. Also the wethersfield cove is good too, but havent been down there yet. But good to know the stocking program isnt great for mass, but as far as ive heard you can't catch musky anywhere in CT and next winter if we have enough ice to make a bunch of trips I wouldn't mind giving a shot at trying to catch a musky.

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links