when i go ice fishing even tho the ice is thick it makes big lound cracking noises i want to know if its safe or not

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:42 pm

The cracking is probably the water freezing. As the ice is being made it cracks because of the pressure of new ice and stress. It is explained better here http://lakeice.squarespace.com/stress-cracks/

It is still important to check the thickness of the ice the further you move out. We general set up our traps as a general radius with everything from the traps back being considered safe. We don't venture paste the traps unless we test further.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 pm

I was at baldpate pond today and almost s*** myself a few times when I heard the same thing lol

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Can be a little scary, but Biggz is right. Shouldn't worry too much, as its been pretty cold. Be careful this weekend though, I think its supposed to be warm and rainy tomorrow. Definitely drill a bunch of holes, and watch out for thin ice around the shorelines.

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

There was only about 4" of ice on it Sunday. Maybe more now but next couple days will erase that. Was plenty safe Sunday but beware this coming weekend...

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am

nautibuoys

There was only about 4" of ice on it Sunday. Maybe more now but next couple days will erase that. Was plenty safe Sunday but beware this coming weekend...

Yup I wont be touching the ice east of 495 this weekend. need another 3-4 days of freezing temps before we can do that again

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links