In MA, for really big freakin' steelhead. I'm new to this subject so pardon me if that's a stupid question Laughing But beyond intrigued!

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Steelhead are nothing more than Rainbow trout that migrate between the ocean and freshwater to spawn. Unlike most salmon they do not die after spawning and can return to the ocean and then back to freshwater to spawn. Lake Ontario has what they call Steelhead and they go up the tributaries to spawn. I'm not sure that they are technically really steelhead because they just return out to the main lake after spawning, they don't go back and forth between the ocean. They do get large and are called Steelhead though. I am not aware of anywhere in Mass. that you could catch a Steelhead. There are streams that have Sea Run Brown Trout so maybe they have some Steelhead as well though I have never heard of any being caught. Your best bet is to head to Lake Ontario and it's tributaries such as the Salmon River. Good luck.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 am

The Salmon River... Pulaski N.Y.

Mid September to late October

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 am

That's why I'm so intrigued by steelhead, being that they're hefty sea-run bows. I've heard about the browns too. Forget where I read they were pretty abundant up here but I read it somewhere. I'm dreaming of BC type steelhead in this state, and I think that's all I'm doing; just dreaming of something that doesn't exist here. Lol

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 7:34 am

on Cape Cod has sea run Brown trout called Salters.. Not sure when they run .

Posted Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Atlantic salmon are better then steelhead but they are endangered because almost all of the rivers that they spawn in have dams which prevent them from reproducing like they used to.

Out west the steelhead follow the salmon to grow big and fat by eating salmon eggs and dead salmon. These salmon swim about 500 miles inland to spawn and die.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I believe that was it, that I read they were pretty abundant in the cape. Maybe even some of the creeks around Plum Island State Park near Stage Island Pond and the around the mouth of the Parker River.

And out west sounds like a place I would love to freakin' fish!!

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 am

thorn168

Atlantic salmon are better then steelhead but they are endangered because almost all of the rivers that they spawn in have dams which prevent them from reproducing like they used to.

Out west the steelhead follow the salmon to grow big and fat by eating salmon eggs and dead salmon. These salmon swim about 500 miles inland to spawn and die.

The DFW is stocking salmon fry (http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/fisheries/anadromous/salmon_fry_stocking.htm). I assumed these fry would migrate to the ocean. I also assumed more fish ladders had been installed at dams to increase natural reproduction.

Then again you know what they say about assumptions.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links