Its a shame that now one uses this messageboard so lets start it off. When your on the water and your facing a skunk whats the lure that you pull out knowing it wiil get you fish?

My fall back would probably be a Joe's Flie in line spinner Black with silver spoon. Razz

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 1:02 pm

I agree man, we got a good amount of people on this site now...hopefully we all start utilizing it more an more.

My fallback has always been a variety of Worden's Inline Rooster Tails or Rapala Original Floater F-7 or F-9 in minnow color. Although this year Im really trying to improve my all around game. Plastics, Jigs, Swimbaits, Topwater, Etc.

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm a rookie, and I swear by shiners. But for artificial, my fallback is a rebel finish minnow broken back.
I bought some scented worms called Gulp. I'm sure you know what I mean. I would like to learn the art of fishin' plastic worms.

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 4:17 pm

doughay

I bought some scented worms called Gulp. I'm sure you know what I mean. I would like to learn the art of fishin' plastic worms.

Rig them texas style which is weedless ( no expossed hook ) no weight and just toss them. Let them sink till you hit bottom. Give them a quik twitch and reel in slack and repeat. Look at your line at all times if you see it start to straiten out and you feel at tap tap in your rod set the hook Wink

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 5:24 pm

mikeyc

doughay

Rig them texas style which is weedless ( no expossed hook ) no weight and just toss them. Let them sink till you hit bottom. Give them a quik twitch and reel in slack and repeat. Look at your line at all times if you see it start to straiten out and you feel at tap tap in your rod set the hook Wink

I went out Memorial day weekend twice to Tispequin pond. A few large mouth, nothing over three pounds.
As bait shops go, Tom's in Middleboro is stalked pretty good. Of course, your gonna' pay.
The " Gulp" bait I mentioned is made by Berkley. It is 7" Turtle Back Worm. It claims to be 100 % natural, not plastic. It is scented.
The hook that the baitshop recommended is called an offset hook, made by " Texposer". The sizes come in 1/0 and 2/0. The salesman said 1 ot and 2 ot. I did not understand the term "ot" but anywho.
There is an illustration on the package, which explains how to hook the worm.Once I paid attention to the instructions, it made sense. The hook point is actually exposed, but it rides up real close to the body of the worm. It is obviosly configured to minimize snags.

After a half dozen casts, I got into a rythem. It appears that pointing your pole directly at the the line and twitching up back at your self gives you the most sensitivity as to any action on the other end. A "baitcaster" style reel is obviously the appropriate reel to use.

Well, I had no hits with it ,but next time out, I'll be more familiar with it. I'm anxious to get proficient with it and I'll continue to make time for it.

I took a ride down to the bridge you were talkin' about between Wareham and Marion. It's less then 20 minutes. I parked my truck and talked to a few doods fishing off the bridge. They were using pogeys but had no hits.

My brother-in-law is restoring a 34' foot boat drydocked in Marshfield, so after fishing yesterday, I went down to his boat and I was washing down the hull with soap and water. After that, I applied a compound to an electric buffer and I was restoring the original color back to the hull. There is a lot of hull on a 34' so I didn't even get half of it done.

After the compound is applied, then a polish will be applied and I got a feeling it will look almost like new when we're done. It has two rebuilt 350 cubic inch, fresh water cooled, inboard engines in it.
Yea I know, what a gas bill !!.

I was thinking that we could buy several 5 gallon gas containers and fill them up at gas stations and bring them to the boat when we go out. I don't know if he is going to take it out this year. I think he's trying to. Marine gas is probably a dollar more per gallon, so every gallon we buy at a station will add up.

My brother-in-law said that because of the current economy, it is actually easier to rent a slip because many boaters are selling their boats and not even putting in. Many opportunities currently exist for those who can afford to take advatage of the current economic envoirment. I am not one of them.

Good luck with your summers and keep in touch.

Posted Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am

As far as worms go. You can use any worm. They are all pretty much the same. If you get into using alot of rubber it is cheeper to but them off E-bay. You can get some good deals. I would stay away from buying from Tom's, or any bait and tackle is going to be at least a doller more per package. Dick's and walmart always have A good selection at a fair price. Good luck on the boat. Very Happy

Last edited by mikeyc on Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue May 27, 2008 4:17 pm

mikeyc

As far as worms go. You can use any worm. They are all pretty much the same. If you get into using alot of rubber it is cheeper to but them off E-bay. You can get some good deals. I would stay away from buying from Tom's, or any bait and tackle is going to be at least a doller more per package. Dick's and walmart always have A good selection at a far price. Good luck on the boat. Very Happy

Yuh, it can get expensive at the bait shop. For salt water, I like Red Top down at Buzzard's Bay, they got everything.

I really need to upgrade my rod and reels. If I can come up with the money, I'll be takin' a trip to Bass Pro soon.

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 4:44 am

Bass Pro is good price wise and inventory wise, but like mikey said Dick's and Walmart is too bad.

p.s. Im starting to really like the 4.5in or 6in Slug-go's and I got some Yum Big Show Paddle Tail worms Im gonna try tonight.

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 8:51 am

Try using 9 inch sluggo's for salt. You can work them just about anyway, but I like whipping them across the top. It has a nice action to it.

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Yea I got some albino shad colored ones a couple weeks ago Im gonna try. I might try one in freshwater for the hell of it.

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 2:36 pm

meat7gtk

Bass Pro is good price wise and inventory wise, but like mikey said Dick's and Walmart is too bad.

p.s. Im starting to really like the 4.5in or 6in Slug-go's and I got some Yum Big Show Paddle Tail worms Im gonna try tonight.

I'm pickin' up some good tips. It takes time to be proficient at this but it's in my blood.

Try using 9 inch sluggo's for salt. You can work them just about anyway, but I like whipping them across the top. It has a nice action to it.

Mikecy wrote"
What do you mean by whippin' 'em across the top ?

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm

You sweep your rod tip left to right, at the same time quickly retieving your line. You can keep the sluggo on top of the water. It looks like a eel swiming on top.

Posted Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 pm

for bass i always start off with powerbait red shad ribbon tail. if that fails i'll switch to a spinner bait, i like boo yahs or strike king. if that fails i will switch to shallow diving crankbait. and if it's late in the day, i'll switch to yellow jitterbug. i've been having a hell of a time finding the small original type yellow jitterbugs.
trout i always use rooster tails and kastmasters.

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:11 am

my fall back this year is with out a doubt the chatterbait, the action these things put out is awesome. and i love of course using spinnerbaits, who would have guessed at that one, lol.

Posted Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links