The Massachusetts Chapter of Stripercoast Surfcasters Club is once again hosting a beach cleanup event at Gooseberry Island, Westport, MA on Saturday April 16th. We'll be getting started at 9am and hope to finish up around 3pm, with a break for a picnic lunch around noon.

We hope that you'll consider joining with us Wink

For more information, or to volunteer, please contact:

Jacob Freeman
jake@stripercoastsurfcasters.us

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm

In spite of the blustery conditions, we had a good clean-up day. 13 volunteers worked together to pick up 30 bags of trash, 18 lobster pots, tires, & misc scrap metal from the shoreline of Gooseberry Island in Westport, MA. Big thanks to those who came out to lend a hand!!

Here are a few photos from the day...

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 am

Glad to see some who actually cares about the area they fish. Some of my local spots are loaded with garbage, I should probably start bringing a trash bag!

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks!
Bringing (and USING) a trash bag is always a good thing to do.

It's actually part of the code of conduct for my surfcasting club:

Members shall at all times while representing the Club, carry 1 large trash bag in their possession, and shall pick up shoreline trash in order to leave the location cleaner than when they arrived. When presented with the opportunity, they shall make an effort to respectfully teach others the errors of leaving the shoreline without their personally produced trash. (4.1.4)

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 am

Thats great man! So many sloppy people out everywhere unfortunately.

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:12 am

That's a great rule to have! I was fishing one of the New York City Reservoirs this weekend while visiting the inlaws, and the amount of trash around the lake was incredible! This is a place where you need a special permit just to walk around in the surrounding woods...basically no one is there except for people fishing, because there aren't any hiking paths. I just don't understand how you could treat your local fishing hole/escape to nature like that! Wish I brought that big bag...

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links