25%  [ 3 ]
3-very interested
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
4-COO-COO for COCO-PUFFz over the idea
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

I'd love to get in on this. I'm not from the area and have never been ice fishing before, but it sounds awesome. It would be great to hang out and learn the ropes.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Also, can I just use my bass gear or what?

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 pm

jlev44

Also, can I just use my bass gear or what?

It looks like a few guys have gear to let someone use for the day. Myself included. Bass gear will not work on the ice tho. Keep an eye out for a gathering and it would be great to meet ya and get you into ice fishing.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:47 am

what baits are used for freezing on the ice

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 am

skoda

what baits are used for freezing on the ice

If you want to target a variety of fish use med shiners.
Bigger fish bigger bait
I'm not a good at trout but pin minnows.
Small jigs for panfish.
There is different tricks like maggots,perch eyes, ect.
I probably missed some baits but this is the general idea.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 am

When ice fishing,bigger bait doesn't necessarily mean bigger fish.
I use medium to heavy- medium shiners.I caught one of my pb largies,
7lbs 4oz.,using a medium sized shiner.I put my tip ups at different depths,just like summer fishin,bass will suspend.I aslo clip some of the back tail fins to keep the shiner from moving around so fast.The shiners tend to swim upwards and in circles.Cutting the fins gives them the look of a wounded baitfish.Believe it or not,we have caught
fish jigging with small pieces of senko worms.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:06 am

Pretty much my favorite two words "TIP UP!"

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:14 am

bassstinger

When ice fishing,bigger bait doesn't necessarily mean bigger fish.
I use medium to heavy- medium shiners.I caught one of my pb largies,
7lbs 4oz.,using a medium sized shiner.I put my tip ups at different depths,just like summer fishin,bass will suspend.I aslo clip some of the back tail fins to keep the shiner from moving around so fast.The shiners tend to swim upwards and in circles.Cutting the fins gives them the look of a wounded baitfish.Believe it or not,we have caught
fish jigging with small pieces of senko worms.

Sorry guys, i don't want to mislead anyone about bigger bait means bigger fish theory. This is relevant to open water fishing. There is hundreds of methods that can be used in both seasons. By all means we all use different ones.
I know the guy who caught the state record Pike for mass using a pin minnow while fishing for trout. Odds of this happening slim but not impossible,obviously. ha
When i say big bait i use 6"-10" + dead bait for pike. it's a go big or go home theory. Like throwing a big swim-bait, You are trying to target bigger fish if you can.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:22 am

I've caught some big fish on small bait too but for me it's almost a matter of trying to eliminate the smaller hits. If you fish small bait your chances of getting perch and pick are that much greater. Sometimes you want to just have a fun day of chasing flags but other days you just want to go for the big guys and get pissed pulling your line up and having a ten inch perch on the other end.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links