Is there going to be more than 6" of ice by next weekend?
6"
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Over 6"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Under 6"
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Ice....What ice! :(
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Just wanted to see how many of you think there's gonna be 6+" of ice by next weekend on the 21st. Planning a ice fishing trip to Wichenton (Lake Denison) for next weekend and wanted some input. The weathers sketchy so was thinking what ur thoughts were. If anybody lives up that way please let me know what the ice is like; IF ANY! Thanks in advance guys and Happy Fishing!

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 am

Some frigid temps arriving tomorrow night and through the wknd. Geographic area Question The further north and west of Boston you go I imagine the ice to be in good shape. Not going to happen south of Boston Exclamation Supposed to get back near 40 the middle of next week Exclamation

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 am

Don...sorry about that! The area Im looking at going fishing is North Central Mass...its not too far at all from the NH border. Its usually like 5 to 10 degrees cooler than here in the Pioneer Valley so I was assuming that there'd be ice and plenty of it. Like I think I said on another thread is the only thing that concerns me is the size of the lake. Ive seen on another thread that Buel isnt iced over yet and thats in the Berks! So who knows. I just dont wanna spend all that time running up there with ice gear and find out I should of brought the canoe and normal fishing gear. dont want to be like...

Thanks for the input guys both on here and the PM's that were sent! Its greatly appricated! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 am

I have a lot of friends who ice fish pretty actively in the berks. i was there last weekend and might do a day trip out there tomorrow.

there is a lot of safe ice out there but they are generally ponds off the beaten path and not as popular to fish. large/medium bodies of water like buel and onota are getting some action i hear but personally i think they're crazy.

i did fish woods pond for pike on sunday on 2.5-3.5in of water so maybe i'm crazy too.

i fished a smaller body of water on monday with 5-6" and probably more by now.

there are definitely places to fish if you're willing to travel.

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 pm

This non stop wind doesn't help matters much Exclamation A few calm, bitter nights and you guys will be all set Exclamation Be safe out there Exclamation

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks Don and Goldpin....went for a scouting ride today and it wasnt good. There was def ice, 5 to 6", BUT I think state parks are closed to ice fishing currently! I was like WTF with that much ice! But there were signs everywhere to stay off the ice due to "unsafe conditions"! Im posting another thread about the day I had today so feel free looking in on that one. Thanks again guys and be safe out there.

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links