Pike
I have one trip planned to Maine hopefully - fish for a cure derby

1 trip to Champlain - friend just bought house on lake Smile

Hopefully a couple to Quaboag i have vacation to burn before Q1

1 trip planned to Boone- no pike, just hanging out with cool guys who like to ice fish.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 am

Local south shore ponds for anything that bites Exclamation Laughing Jigging only, no traps, sitting around watching a flag isn't my thing. The downside is I have to drill a lot of holes Exclamation Laughing

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:47 pm

i got 2 spots i ice fish regularly. but im searching for more.
id hit any spot you catch bass at. but i like to ice fish the smaller ponds. you can find the fish easier.
i set 4 traps and got 1 jig rod. but some days i bring just a jig rod.

if i got time to kill. i go out with a spud and a couple of jigs.
ill punch threw holes made from the day before. id pick up dead shiners and put them on my jigs.
litteraly caught everything in the pond on this. perch crappies bass pickerel sunnie and trout.
ive also caught smallies and perch on this in new hampshire.
i like the spro bucktails. the smallest size and maribou crappie jigs.

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 am

never ice fished before. this will be my first year hopefully. depending on how much ice we get. but i bought 2 jig rods. one for smelt and the other for the bigger game. my boss is taking me out to get some smelt this year on onota lake in pittsfield. then im fishing for pike at the cheshire lakes. i hear they bite good.

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 am

I like to set traps, and then jig in the meantime...good way to hopefully catch some decent size fish on the shiners and also have a little fish fry (perch and sunfish) when I get home. Bass and pike are the best through the ice!

With the lack of ice last year, I have to remember all the spots I used to go to!

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 am

I myself really only use traps and target bass. Most of the time I hit a private pond by me that's never failed me. Sometimes I go to the Ashburnham res which is pretty good and Lake Monomonac in Rindge NH (We've had great days there).

All the talk about Boone I'm hoping to hit there this year and possible the Oxbow or anywhere else I can target Pike.

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:46 am

nik_zarvis

never ice fished before. this will be my first year hopefully. depending on how much ice we get. but i bought 2 jig rods. one for smelt and the other for the bigger game. my boss is taking me out to get some smelt this year on onota lake in pittsfield. then im fishing for pike at the cheshire lakes. i hear they bite good.

Grab yourself an arctic warrior. It holds a rod and when you get bit a flag pops and you grab the rod and fight it!
Even though i like the hand to fish battle too!
That might intrigue some guys

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:05 am

I go to the Sebago region in Maine, usually for a couple weekends each year. Setup traps and usually keep warm with jagermeister. Usually target perch, salmon, and brown trout. Would love to find where the pike, cusk, and smallies are hiding.

I am bringing my fishfinder this year so I want to start jigging. How cheap can I get away with spending on a jigging rod? Have to buy some x-mas gifts through Amazon soon and thought I would pick one up there. What are some good jigging baits? Going to grab a rapala jigging rap, but what else?

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 am

http://www.baydenoclure.com/vingla.htm
this is my go to jig, 1/10th oz. nickel, with blue prism, the perch love it, if you don't catch a fish with this they are not biting! whats great about this is everytime you jig it, it will flutter a different way down the hole, yes shawn i said hole,lol. i have entered the winn derby in new hampshire every year for the last 17 years , and there is a money hole for perch in alton bay, 30-60 perch for the weekend, lots of fun! caught small lakers and trout with it there also. i have my local bait and tackle store order them at a dozen at a time, they can be tuff to find when you need them.

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:41 am

Bomoseen in VT Big Pike or where ever Jwall is hahahahahaha

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm

going to a couple big lakes out in the berkshires for some pike and broodstock. Never pulled a pike smaller then 15 lbs there. Great ice fishing and beer drinking!!

Posted Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:31 pm

thelucky

I am bringing my fishfinder this year so I want to start jigging. How cheap can I get away with spending on a jigging rod? Have to buy some x-mas gifts through Amazon soon and thought I would pick one up there. What are some good jigging baits? Going to grab a rapala jigging rap, but what else?

You can get a good jig set up for around 50 bucks. They make everything so specialized now too, so you just pick what type of fish you want to catch, and then get that type combo. I got a Cabela's combo 2 years ago for panfish, and it works awesome. It's weighted well, and has good action. Just put on line and a jig and you're good to go.

Rapala jigs work the balls, I'd get a bunch of those if I were you. I caught a ton of panfish on the Northland Forage Minnow also. The smaller jigs can be tipped with mini plastic worms or live grubs, wax worms, spikes, etc. and it helps trigger bites sometime. Swedish Pimples are classic baits too - if you're going up to Maine, I'd probably grab a few of those for the trout. Jigs are relatively inexpensive, so just grab a bunch and try them out!

Posted Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:02 am

Kast masters work. Swedish pimple. For pan fish. I'll use any panfish Rubbers. Grub tubes any rubber lures you catch panfish on. Panfish tubes work good for trout to.
I also like crappie jigs. Marabou and spro jigs. I tip them with a dead shiner.

Posted Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links