Some one told me about catching eels (from fresh water) for striper baits!
Sounds like it could be fun. So I was looking for the best place to try. Any help would be great.

Last edited by monkeys31 on Thu May 28, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Are you talking Eels or Sand Eels. I know Sand Eels are a pretty popular striper bait, only 4 to 6 inched long. Can be caught with a "Sand Eel Rake" on some of beach areas. Not sure about using regular Eels, but I guess it could work.

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 2:10 pm

I have used eels that were 12 to 14 inches long, and they're heavy. I bought them out of a bait shop. They sell them to you out of a very cold refridgerator. They cool down the body temperature until the eel is almost frozen.

The reason, is that with a normal body temperature, an eel, that size, is very diificult to hold on to. They can squirm right through your tight grip while you're trying to hook them.

I wouldn't know where to catch them, but yes they are considered excellent striper bait. You can catch striper any time of day, but if you're looking for the big female,(cow), the best time with those eels is at night.

No offense, but this thread is an excellent subject in the salt water forum.

Posted Thu May 28, 2009 5:57 am

Ya, the salt water forum would be better! but the guy said something about a river in Pepperal? thats why I posted it here.

Posted Thu May 28, 2009 7:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links