To answer your question.. yes..it will pass thru a paint coating.
One thing you must always be aware of with an Alum hull is the potential for stray electrical current often emitted into the water by shore power connections not properly grounded or nicked wiring leading into the water...electrolysis will occur and if no zincs are present it will attack your hull. SO be aware around Marinas, your battery connections and anything related to stray current....
A $10 zinc is worth its weight in gold with alum hulls.

PJ

prov1

good article but "steel lower" units? I cant think of a single outboard that has a steel lower unit. Im thinking the only part of an outboard that might be steel is the mounting bracket but for some reason i think that is aluminum to. Which leads me to question will a electrical current still form if there isnt any steel in the outboard. Also if your boat is painted were the outboard meets the hull would the current still flow through the paint.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 pm

makes sense. Im defiantly second guessing taking my boat for a salt bath. I think I might focus my summer on fishing the conn. river and lake winni. It seems like the risks out weigh the gain on this one. Maybe next year I will get a glass boat.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm

prov1

Im thinking about taking my 18ft lund aluminum boat in boston harbor this spring for some flounder and stripers. Does anyone have any experience with aluminium boat in saltwater. I just wanna make sure i dont destroy my boat. Also is the charles river freshwater once you go up the river a few miles. I was looking for a freshwater launch so I dont have to worry about the trailer going in the salt and my boat will get a nice freshwater rinse on the way back to the launch.

I've been taking my aluminum (Spectrum 14' w/25 HP Yamaha) salt water fishing for years. I especially like the Boston Harbor area. I have a galvanized trailer and I launch at Pemberton or Winthrop MA.
After fishing in salt water I wash down the boat and trailer and take it for a ride in fresh water to get all the salt out of the motor. I would advise to check the weather and winds for the day as it can get very choppy out there. Your boat should handle it much better than mine. I'm thinking of up-grading to a better boat for the ocean.

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Friends of mine ran ran a charter with an 18 ft Lund in Boston Harbor. They launced in Weymouth and Hingham. Just head for the coin operated car wash on the way home and rinse thouroughly. also put the hose on the "ears" and rinse the engine when you get home.

Enjoy the boat and go where the fishies hang out.

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links