I have been told countless times about the effectiveness of wonderbread as carp bait, so I tried it for the first time recently. I got lots of bites/hits and instead of a carp, I landed a decent size cat fish. Apparently wonder bread is good for other species besides carp.

If anyone has any wonderbread stories they'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you.

Posted Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:26 pm

My mom used to taking me fishing when I was quite young. We would frequent many local park ponds with easy access and they typically had small docks to sit on and what not. She would use bread and occasionally peanut butter as bait. Now I will not lie and say it was Wonder Bread, but for purposes of this post let us pretend shall we Razz

Anyway, she would bait up my lil push button pole with a small piece of bread for the sunnies/bluegills etc and she would take some bread and mush a bit of peanut butter into it and make a nice dough ball and cast that out for whatever would take it.

I really do not remember catching a whole lot, except this one time, and I remember this fairly clearly. I was fishing as usualy right off the dock and getting not much of anything. My mom was fishing much farther out, which in the grand scheme didn't mean a lot since the water was only about 2-3 feet over the whole pond. She pulled in her rod to rebait, cast back out and as her bread hit the water some ducks perked up and swam straight at the splash.

All I remember is the splash of the duck diving for the bread, then the explosion as it realized it was attached to something..then the utter chaos of my mom trying to wade in the water and dehook the frantic duck. Then the words of a sailor that came out of her mouth as she wrestled with it thigh deep in mud and water!

Good times all around...ahhh childhood!

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 am

That's quite the story. I haven't hooked any ducks thus far. That sounds like an over-rated experience..LOL

I'm curious to know how effective peanut butter on a doughball would be for luring carp. Also, I wonder if it's safe- whether carp are allergic to peanuts.

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah I have seen mixed thoughts about it. While I haven't seen anything concrete one way or the other I generally don't bother since there are so many other options out there I don't feel a need to push my luck. In essence you could get about the same results with a bit of cream corn and bread without fearing that your doing harm. Or heck now a days I'm betting there is a decently priced range of soy butter products that would rock the protein without the paranoia.

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links