I'm fairly new to ice fishing. This past winter was my first season on the ice. I have two cheap tipups which weren't the best because the flag tip up wasn't sensitive enough to alert me to any bites.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made their own tip ups. If so, what materials did you use? Given how expensive good tip ups are, it seems like one can be made that's just as effective, for a lot less money.

Yes, I know it's August but Ice season is only 4-5 months away, so I figure, I might as well start gearing up.

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:53 am

I never made my own, but I saw a posting on a ice fishing specific site (www.icefishingchat.com), where someone made there own, you can see the stuff he used and how they go together to get an idea for it:

http://www.icefishingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4135&highlight=

The ones I have look just like that, but I got mine from my Dad, they seem pretty receptive to bites. I had good luck with them last season.

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey, thanks for finding that link. The cheap $5 ones I bought last year look like that, except they are platic and the striker isn't sensitive enough to bites. It seems like I can just make them with materials from Home Depot.

Yeah, this past winter was my first on the ice( I only got out twice) and I didn't have any luck. I'm hoping for better luck this season now that I'm prepared.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links