I have a boat dilemma; I'm hoping will draw some constructive advice for me and others in the same boat (no pun intended)

I've been pondering the idea of purchasing a bass boat, given the advantages one gets in a boat vs. fishing from shore(i.e. greater access, ease of relocation, etc.). However, that would involve buying and registering a trailer, and having a trailer hitch installed, not to mention the room it would take up in the driveway.

Or

I could outfit my canoe with canoe stabilizers(too many discourteous motor boaters)a trolling motor and be off to the races.
My only concerns are
a). Stability. All it would take is one knuckleheaded guy in a motor boat passing too close, at too high a speed for me to go over and lose all my gear on top of it and
b). how far/long I could go with just an electric motor( I wouldn't put a gas motor on the canoe)

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 am

Another option would be a kayak. You'd have great handling, ability to put in any water regardless of hp restrictions and today's kayaks offer some great options gear solely toward fishing. They even have Peddle ones that would free up your hand to fish while still allowing you to cruise.

The only drawback would be tournaments if you wanted. Since a kayak and Livewells really don't go together...

I personally love my canoe, but then again I tend to avoid heavy traffic areas. I have fished many places though including many spots out in Buzzards bay with my lil 12 foot aluminum Sportspal and have never once had anything close to tipping me. That thing is a tank.

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 am

Yeah, I've considred the kayak route too but I think I'd prefer the canoe because you can always put a motor on it.

Just a word to the wise, if you ever do take your canoe on the Charles, you will want stabilizers because a lot of the motor boaters there are knuckleheads and they will come too close, going too fast.

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 am

you can get a ocean kayak n out fit it http://www.kayak-excursions.com/kayakmotor.htmlwith electric motor. if your handy then u can make all the set up and just buy the motor on craigs list. picked up a ocean kayak from craigs list which had a rudder kit on it . which i had to disassemble to make one for my swifty 9.5. cost me 70 for materials instead of 240 for the kit.hehe.from what i saw for these type of motor kit for kayak is motor is mounted on a hinge and cable is run to the foot rest so it can be controled by ure feet.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 am

Yeah, that's actually another great option worth considering. I've seen a lot of ocean Kayaks on Craigslist too.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links