Thanks man. If you could hit me up anyway, that would be rad. So many threads, you know? Ha. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm definitely gonna scoop one of these in the offseason...

Can you tell me a little more about how the bailless ones work?

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I see them for sale on Stripers Online occasionally. That's one place to start. You might even post a WTB there and see what happens. Especially now, nearing end of season and all.

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Bloomagoo your on SOL???

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Yup, but I only read and post to fly fishing and kayak fishing forums, and very occasionally fly tying.

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Got the VS200 today. Love it. The baillless thing is taking a bit to get used to, but I think when I get it down, it will make my life so much easier as I always felt like Jim Abbott opening the bail, casting, closing, and readjusting grip for each step![/img]

Posted Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Congrats on your new purchase. So you ended up finding a used one? or did you just bite the bullet and cough it up for a new one?

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:28 am

You wouldn't believe how much this used once reel ran me. Did like tuna melt told me. Found a guy who decided he was going to start fishing and bought all this premium stuff. Used the reel once and hated it. Hawked it to me for 400!

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 am

jessekayboston

You wouldn't believe how much this used once reel ran me. Did like tuna melt told me. Found a guy who decided he was going to start fishing and bought all this premium stuff. Used the reel once and hated it. Hawked it to me for 400!

NICE SCORE!

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip, man! Still getting used to bailless, but starting to like it. I'm a little slow with it...

Hey, what happens if you cast, and a fish hits the lure immediately, before you have a chance to get the line on? Is there a way to get it on in this situation without destroying your hand?

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:29 am

jessekayboston

Thanks for the tip, man! Still getting used to bailless, but starting to like it. I'm a little slow with it...

Hey, what happens if you cast, and a fish hits the lure immediately, before you have a chance to get the line on? Is there a way to get it on in this situation without destroying your hand?

Not really. That is why they designed the bailed reels specifically with that in mind. I wouldn't worry about that though as it has never happened to me in 10 years of using Van Staals. Putting the line under the roller is a little cumbersome at first but within a short time you will be doing it so fast and it will become a routine. The best part about Van Staals are your buddies wont ask to borrow your rod & Reel because they usually wont know how to use the reel.

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am

Hah. Good point...

This year, I've had a lot of fish smack as soon as the plug hit the water... I gotta figure SOMETHING out for this situation!

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links