I've been toying with the idea of getting one. They look like something robocop would use, and cost an arm and a leg, but reviews say they are worth it because they require no maintenance, cast well, never malfunction, the most durable, light, etc. Anyone have one and care to share your opinion?

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 am

your spending 500 bucks on a reel!!! thats the reason i dont have one!!!! i bet they are very nice but im to cheap to spend that money

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:20 am

If you really want one, go for it. You can rationalize it however you want.

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 am

I'm trying to figure out why they have a price tag that is 3x that of many other reels that function perfectly well. These Lamiglas Ron Arra Surf Pro rods were a good 200 bucks more than rods I was used to paying for, but are well worth it. They are light, cast well and far, etc.

I have a newer Shimano bait runner 8500 on there right now and it served me well except for the fact that it sorta got stuck on me the other day... Also, the bail did this weird thing where it only closed halfway and birds nested me. It was terrible to deal with with winds kicking, in the middle of the night.

So, if you guys said that this would never happen with this Van Staal... I think I would buy it. From the advertising, it seems that you can get it wet, something about it being sealed so sand/salt can't get in, etc. The issues with the bait runner were cleared up when I pulled it apart, washed it out, re-oiled, etc. I can't imagine what I'd do if it malfunctioned on me whilw fighting a fish.

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am

Status symbol, like a Rolex. To tell people how "mahvelous" you are.

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:51 am

Gotcha... Anything you would suggest for a 10" and 12" surf setup?

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 am

I think they are mostly used for tuna. I know their rods are used for tuna. Probably overkill if your using it for stripers

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Maybe they make different reels for that. But, the bag 150, 250(?) are real popular with some of the surf guys I know...

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 pm

bloomagoo

Status symbol, like a Rolex. To tell people how "mahvelous" you are.

Not really true. I own two Van Staal reels currently and have owned 4 total. I've had 2-150's, a 250 with a bail, and a 300. I still own a 150, and the 250. My best friend also owns a 250 and a 275. I bought the 250 for tuna and shark fishing, it also doubles as my surf reel. My 250 has caught bluefin tuna up to 70" long, blue sharks over 300 pounds and countless 20+ pound stripers. My 150 has caught everything from largemouth and smallmouth bass to stripers and bluefish to jack cravalle and spanish mackerel. In over 15 years of owning these reels and hard use, I have never had a mechanical issue. They are bullet proof. Many other reels have come and gone in the time I've owned my Van Staals. My only regret I have was having to sell the other two.

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:47 am

How much are they??? Aren't they really expensive! Like over 300

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

bassturds

How much are they??? Aren't they really expensive! Like over 300

You're correct. They aren't cheap but if taken care of the reel should out last the person who owns it. They range in price between $600-$850 but can be found for about half that in used condition if you know where to look. I have dunked all of mine many times in saltwater while wading and never had an issue with saltwater intrusion or corrosion. You can't do that with any other real. The no bail feature is another feature I like about the reels. It was a little weird getting used to in the beginning but now it is second nature. I also like the way a solid piece of aluminum feels in my hand rather than plastic or graphite, or other cheaper materials that other reels are made out of.

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:55 am

Where do you get them for half that?!

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:34 pm

jessekayboston

Where do you get them for half that?!

I search the classifieds on many saltwater sites, specifically ones that cater to surf fishermen. I don't want to get in trouble by naming them specifically but if you google search "striped bass surf fishing" you should find it. There are deals to be had, but the reels are used and you have to make the deals happen fast.

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Shoot me a pm if you see any? Would really be interested in getting one to try...

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:30 pm

By the time I PM you the good deals, they will be sold. It happens that fast. I bought my 150 used for $450 and there was a dozen guys waiting in line behind me. If you want one that bad I highly suggest that you sign up to a couple different sites where those kind of reels are sold frequently and wait. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
Another idea is to wait for Bass Pro Shops reel trade in event. I got my Van Staal 250 during a trade in a reel event that bass pro shops had a few years ago. I traded in an old junk reel and they gave me a coupon good for $100 off a reel priced over $500. It helps a little bit.

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links