SIT-ON-TOP Kayak
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
SIT-IN Kayak
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

looking to buy a fishing kayak.
any insight on pros and cons of sit-in and sit-on-top kayaks?
preferences as far as fishing is concerned?
mainly fish freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers for bass, pickerel, ect.
any advice or input is appreciated
thanks.

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm

ive had both, sit on and sit in. i actually havent used the sit in yet since this winter has been the longest ive ever seen (exaggerating haha) but both have pros and cons, for instance. on top, you WILL get wet (unless you have hobies and elevated seat) but can stand up, while the sit in will keep you 95% drier). depending on the model and brand, sit in provides more rigging options such as rod holders, track systems and other mounts.

that was the main reason i sold my sit on to get a sit in, to have the freedom to mount different stuff.

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm

This thread may also help. Depending how much $ you have in your budget the Kilroy seems to cover both areas

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/angler-kayaks-t10436.html

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:13 am

Sit-In Pros:
- Light weight, easy to carry/portage
- Easier to paddle
- Protection from the elements

Sit-In Cons:
- cramped quarters (compared to SOT)
- limited storage space (varies considerably by model)
- can be swamped
- difficult to re-enter if capsized
- limited rigging options
- less comfortable seating

Sit On Top Pros:
- generally more stable (but only because they tend to be wider and heavier)
- lots of storage space and rigging options
- spacious
- unsinkable (except in extreme or unusual circumstances)
- easy to re-board if you go over

Sit On Top Cons:
- heavy
- slower to paddle
- no protection from the elements

These are generalizations and your actual performance will vary depending on the model of boat.

I fished from a BassPro Ascend D10 sit-in the past two seasons and it was a great little boat with a wide open cockpit, comfortable seat and plenty of storage, plus it was very light. I had two complaints, first it wasn't very good in the chop, the bow would slap into the waves, second, it suffered from a severe case of weather cocking (in the wind the boat's stern wanted to whip around so that I was always facing into the wind). Still, I logged many, many fine hours of fishing in that boat. And it's quite affordable. I only sold it because I migrated to fly fishing last year and found that trying to cast while seated inside a kayak proved challenging; I kept banging my elbows against the gunnels and had a devil of a time keeping my backcast off of the water.

My first yak was a WS Trident 13 Angler SOT. It's a great all around boat for fresh and saltwater and it served me well. I sold it to upgrade to a Hobie Revo 11 which has become my primary kayak for fresh and salt.

This past fall I also picked up a Jackson Cuda 12. The thing paddles like a barge but my intent is to use if for fly fishing on ponds where I can take advantage of the high seating position. The jury is out on whether this boat will meet my expectations.

Obviously, the yak you choose will depend on what your priorities. For me those are:

1. Weight- lighter is better
2. Seating comfort - can you sit for 5-7 hours without a backache?

My recommendation would be to keep an eye out for a used SOT in the 12-14 foot range. Keep an eye on Craigslist and do your research on what others are saying about boats you may be considering. Good choices would be a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or Predator 13, or Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 / 140.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 am

I would not use a sit in for saltwater fishing. I prefer a sitin for fresh but I don't care about standing.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 am

I've owned three SOT kayaks since I got into this great sport. My first yak was a Cobra Fish n Dive, second was a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler, and my third was a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11. Sold the Cobra and Manta Ray and use the WS Tarpon 120 for all my fishing excursions whether it be fresh or salt water. The WS Tarpon 120 in my opinion is a fantastic SOT fishing kayak. It's stable, glides easily with each paddle, comfortable to sit in and I have the old style seat, a ton of storage space, and it's not too heavy (60 pounds). I have a rudder which works great during windy conditions. To keep myself dry and comfortable I wear breathable waders and a dry top. I recently added a fish finder which I should have done a long time a go. When you do decide on which fishing kayak to get, don't hesitate to install a fish finder. You'll be glad you did. Hope this info was helpful.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 pm

I prefer sit in's. lighter, faster, feels more secure, keeps me dry.
That said, I know I'm in the minority. I even just bought another SOT to try just to see what I'm missing. (6th time is a charm right?)

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 pm

I love my nucanoe, but i think it would class as a sit on top in this case. It is more canoe like than yak but is made of the same material as yaks are, and has a built in air chamber so when rolled it will not sink. I like that it is very stable and i can stand at 6'5" and 205 i am a very tall person and have never gone over. I plan to test the limits this summer, but the water is very cold right now. This vessel is not self draining like a lot of the sit on tops, and you have to rig an external sonar sensor due to the air pockets. There is a flat transom that would make mounting easy and is rated to use a 2hp motor, which i have not tried yet. There is a newer version of the nucanoe that is a standard sit on top, but i still like the classic. The tracking is very good and the boat glides very well. It may be worth your consideration.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 pm

If your interested in a Wilderness Pungo 140 $300.00 firm its the 1 I'M sitting in . In My picture I bought it new in 2007. It a great yak. I just bought a Jackson Cuda 14 and also have a Walden Scout 12 as a remote pond yak. Got to thin the herd.

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 pm

thanks for advice guys
ended up getting a Manatee DLX Angler
will post pics soon

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 pm

for that price i would have gotten a tarpon 100. but hey, good luck bro. almost time to hit the waters

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 am

Looks like you're good to go! Good Luck!

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Nice set up!

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links