If you are going to be trout fishing you don't need good reel. You probably need an ok rod. (Around $80). And good line.

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:07 pm

What will you be fishing for? For trout, a 5 wt is all you will need. If you are going for largemouth, I would suggest at least a 6 wt. unless you are fighting big fish(big stripers, False Albacore etc.) you won't need much for a reel. Get the best rod you can afford and never skimp on fly line. Have you looked on CL? Deals come up from time to time.

It doesn't have to be as expensive a sport that many make it into. The fish don't care if you are using a $50 rod or a $500 rod. You will love it by the way.

Charlie

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I don't buy expensive trout rods because the first one i got was very nice but I wound up breaking it by accident fairly quickly.

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

One of the interesting issues that I've witnessed in friends is that when they are having problems with their casting, they don't know how much of their problems to blame on themselves and how much to blame on their gear. If they are using cheap gear there is always a little voice in the back of their head telling them "if you only had better gear...." By purchasing top of the line gear they eliminate one variable from the equation, it helps with their confidence, and they realize that their technique is what needs improvement.

The truth is, if your skills are up to snuff you can cast well with almost any rod from a mainstream manufacturer. Sure, there are major differences in how rods feel, their weight, stiffness, power, and accuracy and each person has his/her preferences for given situations but these are differences that a neophyte caster has no point of reference to measure against and cannot appreciate until they have their skill set developed.

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 pm

i bought my 9wt remington from cabelas. combo $99

then i bought a 5wt combo came with fly line,flies and tipet

for 30 bucks at some little general store in NH

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:02 pm

I bought a 6w 8' at llbean for 75.00 that came with a reel and line all ready to go still trying to figure it out but getting better. good thing about llbean you can always return if you dont like it

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm

i tought myself how to fly fish this season on a 30 dollar shakespeare combo lol, i just recently cought my first bass on it lat week then got another within 5 minutes on a little popper and it wasnt the crazy fight i expected although it was very different hand lining a bass. it can be frustrating to learn if you dont have a teacher so id suggest watching lots of youtube vids like i did then if you decide on taking a class (which i didnt but would like to) then atleast you have a basic understanding of what you are trying to accomplish during the cast. im still very much novice and i have trouble shooting out much farther than 20 to 25 feet but i did learn how to cast under heavy tree canopy so my sidearm cast is half way decent lol. its very fun once you start catching fish on it and is nice to know how to do. i would love to maybe buy a decent heavier weight setup with taxes and try to target bigger fish on the fly like pike or even salmon.good luck

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:12 pm

semperfi

I have been fishing a very longtime and wanting to learn to fly fish, Know that I'm no longer on the road I can commit .I just purchased my first fly rod and wondering if anyone is looking to give lessons or knows someone who has fair rates . Thanks

Learned last year in pittsburg, NH on Conneticut River. There are outfitters everywhere there, and for about 160, 2 can get class, gear, and half day guide on the river. My wife got 2 rainbows and 1 salmon, I got 3 rainbows, next day we bought a 40 dollar rod combo, and got brookies on one of the bogs, it, fly fishing, looks more difficult than it seems.

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links