I have been fishing a very longtime and wanting to learn to fly fish, Know that I'm no longer on the road I can commit .I just purchased my first fly rod and wondering if anyone is looking to give lessons or knows someone who has fair rates . Thanks

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Send me a PM. I taught myself how to fly fish it isn't hard. I am willing to show you how.

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm

A noble goal indeed.

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I would suggest a class. Buy the best line u can. There is a fly fishing show that I go to in the winter where you could learn somthing. I think it was in Marlboro.

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 am

Yes, it's in Marlboro, always in mid January. I just got back into fly fishing myself this year after a 40 year hiatus. I began the year at that show. I really didn't know much about the sport so I only walked the aisles for a couple hours. Now that I have a season of fly fishing under my belt, next year's show will be less overwhelming and more enjoyable. BTW, there is another smaller but still great fly fishing show at the Bear's Den in Taunton every spring.

Another thing I did to get (re)started was to visit the Orvis store in Dedham. BEWARE, it's too easy to spend big money there but they will most definitely provide great advice on gear, locations, techniques, etc. You could also visit the fly fishing dept at Bass Pro or Natick Outdoors or the Bears Den in Taunton.

Orvis also offers free casting and fly tying clinics in the spring geared toward true beginners. The cool part is that they give you a few great coupons to use toward gear and fly tying materials.

I also joined the Canton fly fishing club where I get to meet and discuss all things fly fishing once a month.

I watched EVERY video on Youtube about fly casting...several times over. I particularly recommend the Orvis series with Pete Kutzer.

I found an open ball field to practice my casting.

I bought a fly tying kit and learned to tie a basic wooly bugger. Everything else flowed from there.

Most important, I found a few local ponds that were conducive to beginner fly fishing with lots of casting space and actually started to fish.

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:22 am

LL Bean also offer fly fishing classes. Bass Pro offers free classes during their spring fishing weekend.

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 am

Agree with Blue --> call Scotty at Bears Den in Taunton... He is a great guy and a must visit for fly fishing... I started fly fishing last summer and since then have rarely used my spin gear...

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:10 am

Agree with Blue --> call Scotty at Bears Den in Taunton... He is a great guy and a must visit for fly fishing... I started fly fishing last summer and since then have rarely used my spin gear...

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:11 am

If you can try and practice on water just because you don't want to nick you line to much. I was able to touch up my technique at that show they had some guys giving lessons in the back.

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Fly fishing is something I always wanted to try! Good stuff guys!

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm

noreastangler

Yes, after catching fish on the fly the idea of casting hunks of metal and plastic just seems so barbaric Wink

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 pm

thanks guys for the info

Posted Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 am

Go to the bass pros fly shop and ask for bobby he runs the fly shop and teaches the fly casting classes there. He is great! He is a real good friend of the family i caught my first smallie on a fly that he made on a trip to NH with him. If you talk to him tell him lilbobby kizel sent you.

Posted Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:40 pm

my buddy taught me how to fly fish.
i like going to bears den show in march.

catching stripers and blue fish on a 9wt is sooo much fun! line peeling off. awesome fight.
the schoolies and small keepers fight like a smally!!!!! head thrashing,peeling line and jumping

Posted Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 am

what is a good cheap rod and reel combo for fly fishing to start off with need help

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links