All things being equal, would you go for a sit in or sit on angler kayak? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each style? I tend to fish small to medium lakes/ponds.

Thanks!

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:03 am

I have a hobie sit on top and I find it very stable and efficient. One thing with sit ins is if you capsize the boat will fill with water when you try and flip it. Sit on tops don't have this problem.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:54 pm

I dare say comparing a Hobie to an Ascend is like a Mercedes to a Chevy. But I appreciate the input. I think my preference is sit-on but this one may be decided by availability/price.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

pelican makes a decent angler kayak for 200 bucks in Dick's. Comes in both sit in and sit on for the same price

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Ok, so that begs the question what differences in features/quality lead to the fairly large price differences in the Pelican to the Ascend to the Hobie?

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Sit on. No question.
More storage and easier access.
I got a large boat that I actually stand on and it's great.
Plus, I. My experience seats are generally more comfortable on the sit on. They can usually be upgraded because they are removable.

I have a Big Rig. It's a beast but it has tons of storage and paddles better than I expected.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:20 pm

I own a Hobie Revo 11 and a Tarpon 120. The Hobie is not a small pond fishing boat, unless you want to ditch the Mirage drive and just paddle about. The Tarpon is a better all around boat that can be used in small and large water. Overall, an SOT is a more versatile boat.

I also fished out of an Ascend D10 for several seasons and it was the boat I used most often. Why, because it was light and easy to load, had a very comfortable seat, a very important aspect that should not be overlooked when you will be spending 3 or more hours on the water. I sold it last year to make room for a Jackson Cuda 12, that was eventually sold for the Tarpon 120.

If I were looking at a SINK today, it would have to be the WS Pungo 120 or 140. A great paddling boat, comfortable with a lot of room. I realize that this is a different price point that the boats you are looking at, but I bet a used Pungo could be found in your price range, as could a used WS Tarpon or OK Trident 13.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 pm

If you liked the Ascend 10 SOT, that's probably going to be what I get. Thanks for the input.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 pm

If you plan on fishing into the late fall a sit in will offer more protection from the elements and keep you drier. They both have their pros and cons.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 pm

there are plenty of threads like this. just read them and you will answer all of your questions

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm

bcodkind

If you liked the Ascend 10 SOT, that's probably going to be what I get. Thanks for the input.

I never owned the SOT, it was a D10 SINK.

Posted Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:56 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links