So while browsing at the local bait shop the other day I got to wondering... Do crawfish actually live in any New England waters?

I grew up in southern NH and now live in Mass, but I've never seen one. I know smallies (down south) love craws, but would any NE smallies even know what one looks like? Go Fish

Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time buying plasitc craws for jigging.

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Almost any body of water will have some crawfish, just ask the local kids. Rocky waters harbor a lot more. Some bait shops actually do sell live critters too.

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:23 am

Absloutly!!! Your not wasting you time. I know that there a few bait shops that sell them. Yum makes a a pretty good rubber craw that i picked up.

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Crawfish are a main staple for bass. Tom's Bait Shop ( MIddleboro)sells them for 50 cents a piece when they have them. They had them last Sunday when I was there. Save some for me Cool

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 am

There are definately crawfish in mass waters. Useing crawfish imatators is no waste of time.

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Yum and Reaction Innovation make a nice craw bait.

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:48 am

there's definitely craws in NE waters. I was fishing at great quitticas in lakeville/middleboro area, and a fisherman was reeling in his line there was a craw clamping onto it, so there's definitely craws around here. I also caught a 5lb 4oz largemouth on a strike king rage tail craw(pic is in profile)

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:35 am

I am in Medford, I have a backyard pond with a hard plastic liner. I drained it last year and what did I find ? Full grown Crawfish. There is a stream about 300 yards away. I read they will walk on land up to a mile or more to find new territory.

New England waters are loaded with them. When fishing from a boat look closely at the fish as soon as you get them near the boat, often times they will spit out crawfish right near the boat.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 am

Does anyone have a good sense of the color range of New England craws? I've tried looking online, but haven't had much luck getting nice color shots. I know they look a bit different depending on the season, but what's the general hue? Greenish, brownish, or greyish? I don't think our craws generally turn red, except maybe at certain times a year.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Most of the ones I've seen in the Blackstone, and there are a lot of them there...are different shades of brown, some with as red tinge but mainly pale to dark browns. Could have a lot to do with the color of 99% of the bottom being a muck brown/leaf color though.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 pm

I live in MA and last month i was find crawfish in the lakes i fished. They hide under rocks and what not. Pretty easy to find and you will be amazed at home many there are around.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 am

I have to agree with everyone and say there are definitely crawfish here in New England. I've caught most of mine in the Paskamansett River in Dartmouth when I've been catching eels for my Master's thesis. The rocky riverbed is ideal habitat for these guys.

Posted Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 am

This past fall I was fishin with a jig & pig, black & blue. Hooked 2 fish but lost them. I later realized the I had hooked to much pig skin. Just hook the very top, its really tuff & leaves more exposed hook for better hook ups. The following week I used same black & blue but, it had a plastic craw. Hooked a 2lber with that one.

So, yes just like everyone says. There are crawfish in NE.

My favorite fishin show is Lunkerville on WFN. The show is mostly filmed in New York & Connecticut. I see them using a lot of black&blue, black&purple & pumpkin or watermelon. You can try all these colors, jigs are cheap & you will go through a lot of them.

Posted Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm

lunkerville rocks!

i actually have crawfish in my freshwater aquarium. but you hardly ever see them. they stay under the rocks. biggest bass i've caught, both large and small, were on yamamoto red craws.

Posted Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links