i've been thinking about this all summer and would like to hear everyone's take on it.

i really like using a spin rod, but it seems everyone is switching to baitcasters. all of the pros use them, etc. is there a big advantage using them versus a spin rod? are there disadvantages? different situations? personal preference? why would i want to use one over a spin rod?

i want to get a few more rods for us over the winter to have different options for next year. and if it makes sense i'll add a baitcaster to the collection. just wondering what the big deal is?

Posted Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I just got my first one this year. They take a little while to get used to, but then they feel normal. I think they're easier for one handed flipping/pitching and they even make some reels with a flipping switch that will stop the spool as soon as you take your finger off it, which is nice (Bass Pro extreme). Seems like they cast further too because of the way the spool and everything is set up. Disadvantages would be that they take a little while to get used to and backlashes! They get pretty nasty sometimes. I read somewhere that when your learning, pull out maybe 25 or 50 feet of line and then put a piece of scotch tape over the rest of the line so that if it backlashes, it won't turn your whole reel into a birds nest. I think that saved me some frustration this spring!

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 am

I have 4 of each. Finesse and small lures/baits for spinning rods. And big lures/baits for the Baitcasters. They both have there advantages depending on what style your fishing. Just be patient when your learning to use the baitcaster, and dont go to light with your lure/bait choice.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

I have 4 of each and i'm getting another b.c for next season. I like my baitcasters the best when conditions allow them. You can use heavier line and a heavier rod.The reels come in faster ratios also wich i like. They aren't to bad to use once you set them for the lure you are throwing.
My opinion is i would buy at least 150.00 reel minimum.The quality is much better and with this type of reel precision components help. I bought a reel under 100.00 once. I returned it the next day.
If you like to fish structure or weeds it might be worth it. They handle spinnerbaits,top-water lures,swimbaits,frogs ect. great.
Buy a 3/8 once casting plug and set the tension knob so when you push the button the plug barely lowers under it's own weight. Then make some short casts outside at a target. Slowly loosen the tension knob as you get more comfortable. Accuracy can be incredible with practice. I would start out with mono it's cheaper and easier to start with.
Good luck

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm

depends on the situation - spinnerbaits, worms, jig-n-pig, topwater slop frogs, I use the baitcaster, usually with 12lb test mono or heavier braid; smaller jigs, tubes, finesse type techniques, I use a spinning rig with 8lb test mono.

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:01 am

I use my baitcaster for lures 1/4 oz and up, and use my spinning for the rest. i have more control and accuracy with the bautcaster, but use the spinning for skipping lures under docks, tree limbs and other such cover. another major advantage the baitcasting outfit has is that it has better torque when cranking and it can handle heavy line and braid so much better. it is a great streangth to have both at your disposal. the bass dont stand a chance! Very Happy
Mike H

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links