WOW!

I went to Stevens Pond in North Andover today with some minnows. I didn't catch anything so I ended up going to the Merrimack river right near Sal's Pizza. I saw some guy pull up a 3 ft long Northern Pike with a gut! I know it wasn't a Chain Pickerel because of the pattern. You could actually see the fish in the shallow water! I never knew that the Merrimack River had northern pike!

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Nice! I just moved to Dracut and the Mac is just down the road. What part of the river was he fishing? Faster water? The bank? A cove? The reason I ask is I have been wondering how people access the river. It is such big water.

Charlie

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Is that the Sal's in lawrence, or is there another Sal's along the mack?

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:14 am

hersey617

Is that the Sal's in lawrence, or is there another Sal's along the mack?

Yup the one in Lawrence, I heard that spot is AWESOME for pulling out pike. It's where the Shawsheen River empties into the Merrimack. I think the pike sit there and wait for trout and other fish to exit the Shawsheen into the Mac and devour!

I tried that spot twice so far with the intention of catching Pike. I ended up getting my first two smallmouths ever there, but no pike. When I returned for a second time I didn't get any bites and was wondering if there even was Pike there. I am glad I read this thread, now I know the person who told me about the Pike there was not messing around.

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 pm

its always packed there when stripers run in mac. mmmm which they r now hehe

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Does anyone know where there is boat acess on the Merimac? Im sure there must be some ramps. Im on the Northshore so anything in that area would be awsome.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 am

I have been told the same information about Pike in that very spot and plan to check it out very soon. There are multiple ramps to drop into the Merrimack. The best for that specific location is probably the ramp in Lawrence just below the damn. As the other person stated, remember that it can get crowded in that area during the striper season. You can also drop in the river in Haverhill and Methuen. Just google those locations to find them.

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 am

Does anyone know where there is boat acess on the Merimac? Im sure there must be some ramps. Im on the Northshore so anything in that area would be awsome.

Crescent Yacht Club in Bradford has a public launch, however, the way up to Lawrence is an at your own risk venture. Head towards Newburyport/West Newbury and you'll be fine.

What part of the river was he fishing? Faster water? The bank? A cove?

Like others have stated, it's a particular area. You can see it from 495 if you're traveling South. The Shawsheen does empty there and there's a semi-long and large wall with an embankment that protects the area from the strong current. It's not a large area, but enough for two fisherman to occupy each side. Be aware, that this area is prime because of high water levels. Last year, I went there with my son and it was shallow and nearly dry (he managed to catch a small largemouth anyway). Also be aware this is Lawrence, it's a complete shithole. There was an article in The Eagle Tribune last Summer about the fierceness of prime fishing real estate (usually by the dam). They will damage your car, steal your stuff, and possibly want to fight you.

Last edited by fishingwithkids on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 am

fishingwithkids

Crescent Yacht Club in Bradford has a public launch, however, the way up to Lawrence is an at your own risk venture. Head towards Newburyport/West Newbury and you'll be fine.

What part of the river was he fishing? Faster water? The bank? A cove?

Like others have stated, it's a particular area. You can see it from 495 is you're traveling South. The Shawsheen does empty there and there's a semi-long and large wall with an embankment that protects the area from the strong current. It's not a large area, but enough for two fisherman to occupy each side. Be aware, that this area is prime because of high water levels. Last year, I went there with my son and it was shallow and nearly dry (he managed to catch a small largemouth anyway). Also be aware this is Lawrence, it's a complete shithole. There was an article in The Eagle Tribune last Summer about the fierceness of prime fishing real estate (usually by the dam). They will damage your car, steal your stuff, and possibly want to fight you.

Combat fishing.

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 am

fishingnewengland - haha. you beat me! I was planning to say exactly words that you just said. I had several situations in this position before. even knife fight too. The result, lost phone and wallet on two trips. Then third trip, lost all of my fish fillets. Stopped going there on that year but went back there again next year. Nothing happened nor those people are not around anymore. Honey hole for me now! haha

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:35 am

The area near sals where the shawsheen empties into the Merrimack
is usually full of human feces. In the summer it smells like an open ass. Better
not have any cuts on your hands while fishing there or else you will
end up with a horrible bacteria infection. Sad that the merrinack has gone from dirty to clean in the 90's back to downright filthy again . Yes there are pike there but there are also junkies and bums. Don't bring your kids, girlfriend, or wife as you
will have your hands full defending yourself. as well as their well being.
I am not over reacting as the crime is rampant. Also the Eagle tribune did an article about the raw sewerage and visible feces.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 2:16 am

Sounds like a fun place Rolling Eyes

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 5:39 am

it's been a couple years since last time someone replied on this. I was wondering if this part of the river was still in bad condition?

Posted Mon May 25, 2015 6:02 pm

The area is ok but fishing pressure is high. I normally fish for Shad just downriver from this location every spring. This area is crawling with would be Pike anglers. I have seen as many as a dozen fishermen gathered at this spot in the spring so it gets crowded. Once the river level drops and the Shad run dissipates the Pike move elsewhere and so do these fishermen. Why they leave is beyond me as there is decent smallmouth fishing all along the shoreline. I have caught decent smallmouth by just walking the bank sight fishing. My lure of choice would be a brown colored tube bait. I have also spied several stripers cruising the shallows here during the high days of summer. So it is an ok place to fish. It offers a true urban fishing experience.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links