Anyone out there never use a propane powered ice auger? Thinking of pickingup a Jiffy pro4 wondering if its worth the money.

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I have seen them in action and they are pretty intense. If I had to buy a auger I would go the propane route. Just make sure you have a local place to you can get refills.

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

I think most U-Hauls refill them...they burn clean and quiet, but so does my hand auger Smile

If I ever got a motorized auger, propane is probably the way I'd go.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:03 pm

The pro 4 use the small screw in cylinders you use for a camp stove or lantern. You can get them at walmart or target. I have a eskimo mako i got it years ago, its a two stroke smokes and is loud but, you need it for ice in maine.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 pm

I hear ya...the small propane tanks are pretty light and easy to pack. I bring a Coleman stove with me on the ice, and the tank last several trips. I imagine it won't last quite as long cutting holes, but at least the tanks are small enough to pack a few.

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 am

I give you ice fishermen/women tons of credit. I'm not putting the sport down because to each their own, but I can think of about 25 different things to do when it's freezing outside other than sitting on a frozen lake and catching the types of fish I try to avoid during the warm weather (perch, bluegill, pickerel, etc), with an occasional bass thrown in the mix. Guess you gotta be hardcore and apparently I ain't. Oh well but again, kudos to you all!

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:34 pm

We dont sit on the ice thats way to cold hahahahaha
We run on the ice and yeah it gets mighty cold but the fish dont mind colder the better keeps the fair weather fisherpeople at home

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:54 pm

When i first started it was standing in the cold and wind, now i drag the icehouse out with the atv start the grill turn on the heater, drill some holes put out my traps! Way better than sitting at home with the wife watching QVC on tv. Laughing

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links