Ok the Q opens up next week for fishing. I tout this place alot. I'm gona be honest with everyone. Theres no place like it in MA. You can fish all day an never see a car. All types of eagles flying around. The pic on my icon is a smallie from there last year opening day. I got some photo that were taken with a regular camera that i'm gona get the negetives put on disk to post for you all to see. I'm not b.s. anyone you will see. Bagged a 5lb 9oz smallie an a 4lb 8oz smallie on the same day! Theres lakers, big trout, landlock salmon, broadstock salmon, in there. This is the one place in Ma that everyone should go at least once. The sites alone is worth your time nevermind the chance to catch the fish of a lifetime. You can rent a big high sided john boat with gas moter full of gas for the whole day $30 for the boat a $4 to park your car. Heres some more info. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/locations/quabbin_reservoir.htm

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Sorry couldn't fit everything. The boat is big enough for three grown men to fish in, but i prefer myself to try to fish with two.

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi - mikeyc - I was looking at he map from the website you listed. Would Gate 31 be the best place for fishing from the bank? Largemouth & Smallmouth.

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 pm

I've been reading about Quabbin for a few weeks now myself. How hard is it to get a boat? Do they all get rented first thing in the morning? Also, are there any good spots on the resiviour you can recommend?

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 pm

retired1950

Hi - mikeyc - I was looking at he map from the website you listed. Would Gate 31 be the best place for fishing from the bank? Largemouth & Smallmouth.

I never fished from the bank so i'm no help there sorry.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 pm

charliefc72

I've been reading about Quabbin for a few weeks now myself. How hard is it to get a boat? Do they all get rented first thing in the morning? Also, are there any good spots on the resiviour you can recommend?

They do rent first thing in the morning an I would recommend getting there early especially on the weekends. I've never not gotten a boat, but I have always been there right when the gates open up. As far as spots its really tough because it can be a place where you kill them in a spot one day an there gone the next. Basically fish deep drop offs and points and try to locate rock structure. There is a better map that you can buy on line for under $10 I'll get the site address for you and post it later. Maybe Ill throw you a bone in a private message. I do recommend that you get the map.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:23 pm

If anyone needs info on places to stay im gona post that soon. Theres a hotel not to far from gate 31 and a couple camp sites as well. The hotel was reasonable. I think it was $70 for the nite. An the camp site I stay at is about a 20 minute ride to gate 31. Gate 31 is where I get out of most but dont look past Gate 43 it is also a great gate an has alot of good structure rite off the launch. gate 8 I have never fished. Ive herd that the smally fishing isnt as great, but this is where to go for Trout an salmon. Gate 43 is only a short ride from 31 so you can get to both easily from the hotel or campsite.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Here's the website that sells the map of the Q. Believe me this map is great. Waterproof tearproof 23x15 inchs in size. Shows gates for shoreline fishing, water depth when the Q is at full capacity and underwater humps which is a great smallmouth structure. Only $6.95 + shipping. If your going to put some time on the Q this is a must have.
http://www.necartographics.com/

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 pm

This looks like something I might wanna give a whirl some time this year. Being able to rent a manageable boat would be a great help, I've been looking for places in the area where that was possible. The Q is not quite in the area, but might still be worth the drive.

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm

michaelk

This looks like something I might wanna give a whirl some time this year. Being able to rent a manageable boat would be a great help, I've been looking for places in the area where that was possible. The Q is not quite in the area, but might still be worth the drive.

What part of Ma do you live in. It takes me almost 2 1/2 hours to get there from Brockton. Its worth it!!!!

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I live right around the Pike/I-95 junction. It's somewhere between an hour and two, depending on which side of the Quabbin I am aiming for. A bit of a drive, but manageable.

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:44 pm

michaelk

I live right around the Pike/I-95 junction. It's somewhere between an hour and two, depending on which side of the Quabbin I am aiming for. A bit of a drive, but manageable.

Its absolutly worth it!!! Just think maybe $20-$30 bucks for gas. $34 for the boat for the whole day. An what maybe $20 for food and drinks. If you go with someone an split. Food would be a lil more. Probably cost you an a partner about $50 for a day.

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm

The Quabbin is also known for some pretty good Walleye fishing and it holds I believe 1 MA state record which was a Walleye at 11 pounds 0 ounces. If you're looking to fish from a boat then the Quabbin is definitely the place to go, however if you're looking for the best place to fish from shore then the Wachusett Reservoir is absolutely the BEST place to fish in Mass. The Wachusett Reservoir holds 6 of the MA state records! The biggest Smally ever caught in MA was at Wachusett Reservoir which weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces; The biggest White Perch at 3 pounds 2 ounces; the biggest Landlocked Salmon at 10 pounds 2 ounces; the biggest Brown Trout at 19 pounds 10 ounces; the biggest Lake Trout at 24 pounds 0 ounces and the biggest Rainbow Trout at 13 pounds 13 ounces. In my opinion, The Quabbin Reservoir is the 3rd best place to fish in Massachusetts only behind the Wachusett Reservoir at the top and the Connecticut River in a close second!

Posted Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 pm

mite be good to know that most of the state records from the chu are getting old. Less and less gold pins are being taken out of the chu. ( Gold pin is the pin awarded for the biggest fish caught for each speicies yearly) Stiil good fishing but aloy of people who fish it consistantly find it getting tougher to get those big lakers and trout.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/fishing/awards/sportfish_pin_winners.htm

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 am

I just bagged this bass I am holding Aug. 9th on the Q.
I just love those Senko's!

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links