I'm in the market to buy a spinning reel. I'm probably going to go with a Shimano Sustain, Stradic, or a more economical Baitrunner.

Money, as always, is an issue. But, if the Sustain model, at over$200.00 is that good, I just might do it.

I need to invest in a rod also. Possibly a St Croix. This would be around a hundred bucks. Is it worth it ? Is there that much difference? Should I wait until I have more experience under my belt ? Your thoughts and comments please.

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 am

Doug i'm kind of a newbe when it comes to salt, but if you are going to use the gear alot and can afford it. I would go with the good gear. It just seems to me that you get what you pay for. Also alway look in Ebay for new gear. You can score some good stuff. If it new it may be worth bidding on. Mr. Green

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 pm

I ended up buying the Shimano Baitrunner for $100.00. I am thrilled with it ! I think I bought the best reel on the market for a $100.00 budget.

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Yesterday, I bought a Shimano, Socorro 1000, for $70.00 at Bass Pro. I wanted a second saltwater reel, so I tried to go with a good entry-level spinning reel at a reasonable price.

I talked with the sales agent behind the desk and I asked him why the "Socorro" only had 2 S/S bearings in it. He said that Shimano is changing its' design to go with fewer bearings and he said that some quality reels over the years, didn't always have several bearings in its' design. He mentioned the Mitchell reel, ( I think he said model# 302) as an example. Anyway, he said the parts that are in this lean spinning reel, are quality parts and that as a second saltwater reel, for the price range, it was a good choice.

Then, it was time to string it up. First, he asked what kind of line I was partial too. I told him Power Pro, and that I wanted to go with a mono backing. He suggested that I buy 300 yards and forgo the mono. He said that mono backing, while saving money ,could deteriorate. He said that if I go with the 50 lb. test Power Pro, I can take off 150 yards next year, and transfer the remaining 150 yards, ( that was never used this year) onto another spool with a mono backing, and get more life-time out of the three hundred yards I'm buying now, and subsequently save money.

I told him that the 30 lb. test Power Pro I have on my "Shimano Baitrunner 3500", had a tendency to "nest " while casting. He said that won't happen on windy days, with 50 lb. test.

I've never transferred line from one spool to another , as he described. I guess I'll find out next year, if in fact, he was steering me in the right direction.

Anyhow, I am on a learning curve here, and if any of you , who are more experienced can help me on these matters, I'm all ears. Sharing our experiences is how we become better anglers.

Posted Sat May 02, 2009 9:41 am

doughay

Yesterday, I bought a Shimano, Socorro 1000, for $70.00 at Bass Pro. I wanted a second saltwater reel, so I tried to go with a good entry-level spinning reel at a reasonable price.

I talked with the sales agent behind the desk and I asked him why the "Socorro" only had 2 S/S bearings in it. He said that Shimano is changing its' design to go with fewer bearings and he said that some quality reels over the years, didn't always have several bearings in its' design. He mentioned the Mitchell reel, ( I think he said model# 302) as an example. Anyway, he said the parts that are in this lean spinning reel, are quality parts and that as a second saltwater reel, for the price range, it was a good choice.

Then, it was time to string it up. First, he asked what kind of line I was partial too. I told him Power Pro, and that I wanted to go with a mono backing. He suggested that I buy 300 yards and forgo the mono. He said that mono backing, while saving money ,could deteriorate. He said that if I go with the 50 lb. test Power Pro, I can take off 150 yards next year, and transfer the remaining 150 yards, ( that was never used this year) onto another spool with a mono backing, and get more life-time out of the three hundred yards I'm buying now, and subsequently save money.

I told him that the 30 lb. test Power Pro I have on my "Shimano Baitrunner 3500", had a tendency to "nest " while casting. He said that won't happen on windy days, with 50 lb. test.

I've never transferred line from one spool to another , as he described. I guess I'll find out next year, if in fact, he was steering me in the right direction.

Anyhow, I am on a learning curve here, and if any of you , who are more experienced can help me on these matters, I'm all ears. Sharing our experiences is how we become better anglers.

I use braided line exclusively, what i do when the line gets old is try to keep either an extra spool or and extra reel empty, when you want to change the line around from the old used stuff to the newer stuff at the base of the spool is just transfer from one reel to the other, the older part of your line will be at the base of the spool, and the newer line will be at the top, ready to fish. and 50 lb braid is a great choice for saltwater.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links