Hi,

For a 5-1/2 yr old boy, first fishing experience, what would you recommend for a reel:

The normal open bail type which I imagine most of us use ?
Or, too complicated for his age ?

Or, a closed style like the Zebco's ?

If a Zebco, they seem to come in several flavors, like with the Trigger underneath, or the push-button on the top.

Think there is also another variation, but can't recall it now.

BTW: are the Zebco closed style less prone to tangles, etc. ?

Which would be best ?

Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 am

I'd go with the closed face, push button Zebco. It is less prone to tangles and easy to operate. Makes for a great first (or 2nd, 7th, 15th) reel.

After he masters that it would be an easy step to a regular spinning reel.

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 am

Are you teaching him cast and retrieve style fishing or bait and wait style fishing?

If it is cast and retrieve then the spinning reel is a better choice. I recommend the Shimano IX 2000 (It does not come spooled with line.)

Even for bait and wait the Shimano is a good choice.

Most spin cast reels now made in China are a waste of money. I have burned through three Shakespeare Synsteel 10s because the plastic button broke. I have also worn out a two Zebco Gold 33s. In the case of the Zebco, the line got tangled up in the bell of the reel after much casting and retrieving.

If you must get a spin cast reel then you should consider the Daiwa Silvercast reel as it gets really good reviews.

They don’t make spin cast reels like they used to…so don’t expect them to last more than one season of moderate fishing.

On the other hand the Shimano reels that I have are going on three years of hard use and they still get the job done. The Shimano’s do have some line twist issues because the roller on the bail can get stuck. Nothing that a little reel lube can’t fix.

Do yourself and favor and avoid the red&white bobbers like the plague that they are. They crimp the line and cause the cast to boomerang badly which leads to hanging up in the trees.

The rainbow plastics adjust a bubble floats, while pricey, will probably allow for a more hassle free fishing experience for you and your son.

As for rods, you really have to go to the stores and try them out. You may wish to consider the Zebco Dock Demon combo because it is cheap and can be used as a ice fishing rod.

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 am

if I were you i'd start with a regular close-faced "button rod" and teach him how to cast it with worms or small shiners on a bobber. Good way to start him out with something easy but get him into a lifestyle he may keep with him for the rest of his life!

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm

baystateangler

if I were you i'd start with a regular close-faced "button rod" and teach him how to cast it with worms or small shiners on a bobber. Good way to start him out with something easy but get him into a lifestyle he may keep with him for the rest of his life!

+1

The name of the game at this point is make it fun and easy. Have him catch lots of perch and sunfish, make sure the cooler is stocked with his favorite soda, candy bars, and chips! Very Happy

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Zebco Omega Pro 3 ,a little pricey but I had mine for couple of years now . They cast real smooth an retrieve fast , I use my for lite lures an use a bait caster for heavy lures . I have a brand new one in a box never use for $70.00 if interested for pick up around Taunton or can meet at Bass Pro Shop.
http://shop.zebcobrands.com/zebco/reels/spincast-1/omega-reg-pro.html

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 am

What you want is the diawa turbo spincast reel. It's the smallest, most powerful, reliable and easy to use reel for smaller hands that I have ever found. But don't take my word on it, check-em out there's plenty of combo's on e-bay for as low as $25. I've had 2 older models I got my kids and they have been the best reels I've ever seen in this class.

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links