Hey folks, I've been fishing in Mass for a few years, but this is my first season as a resident, and I'm looking to try some new bodies of water...

What is the deal with reservoirs here? In NH we can fish them, but I'm hearing from some that you can't in Mass, and the Mass Fish and Game website won't tell me directly, so I'm looking for any solid, well founded advice!

Thanks,

Tye

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Yeah it is a pretty mixed bag. If you google them you can usually find either Mass Wildlife info or Town ordinance info on them. As for the big ones....

Sudbury and Wachusett can be fished from shore in certain areas. Quabbin can be fished in a boat from particular gates and addition boat regulations.

Cambridge and Foss are off limits.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:48 pm

The chu has some of the best fishimg mass has to offer. Has a little of everything and most of them r giants! One of only 2 bodies of water in mass that holds Lakers n landlocked Salmon.Trophy size smallies. Shore fishing only but has deep water right off shore at spots.Difficult place to fish go home with skunkaroo many times but always a chance at pb fish. The sud res more of a Larry spot though it does contain decent amount of smallies just not as big. Healthy n big Larrys in there and more often then not u will catch something at the sud. Like big z said also shore fishing only and can't wade in water.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 pm

There are waaay to many reservoirs that you can not fish. I guess since most of the them are not that big, towns are afraid of the worst and ban everything. Feels like one of those old Mass Puritan Laws.

Towns usually have a town hall type of a web page where you can usually find out about their access. Or the google earth image of a chain linked fence around it is a dead giveaway.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links