Okay, so here's a bit of a rant. This is just my own opinion, and maybe some of you know something I don't about this situation. For a while now as you all know we've been required to purchase saltwater fishing licenses; roughly for the past 5 years or so. My question is, and what my question was when this first came around is, WHY?! Why the hell do we have to pay for Saltwater fishing licenses when the state does literally nothing to regulate our Ocean other than having the Police enforce fish size regs. They realistically can't, and they clearly don't go out of their way to do anything (unless Deer Island counts?) The Environmental Police, Coast Guard, Staties etc enforce fishing regulations and they've always been paid by the State or Federal Government since time and memorial. So why all of the sudden are we paying this additional money for something the State doesn't own or properly manage? I understand Freshwater license revenue goes towards our stocking programs, waterway rehabilitation, state parks etc. But it's not like the State 'stocks' the Ocean, and about 2 weeks ago the State anncounced a proposal of a potential ban on recreational fishing out at Stellwagon Bank by 2015-2016. Allowing pretty much only the big net draggers to fish there, and continue destroying it. So why are we paying money to continually have restrictions put on us, and to lose fishing grounds? When we already pay a fee just to launch our boats at public launch ramps, and pay enormous taxes on fuel at Marina's etc -sigh- okay haha my rant is over. Just had to get that off my chest, 5 years building lol. Like I said if anyone knows something I don't as to where that money goes, please inform me haha. Unless it's just another typical Massachusetts fee just for living in Massachusetts like tolls etc haha. Laughing

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

They're actually trying to ban all commercial fishing on stellwagon. A couple years ago after many years of working to re-establish the codfish populations to a place where they were plentiful and healthy they opened it up to the big steel and the place was completely wiped out in about a month. As far as the license goes it's the law and that's why you need to pay for it. Whether or not you do is up to you. I've never personally been checked. Just sayin

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 am

i bought it just in case!

yea they shouldnt have ever let the draggers on to the bank!

get rid of dragging!

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 am

Yeah, Draggers are main reason why stellwagon is being raped on ocean floor. But they said it was blamed with bottom-fishing... I have hard time to believe that.. Plus, most of fisherman are caring about our environment like as I do. We do care about our fish stocks. But Banned whole thing for fishermen, it is plain wrong..

Now, tell me this, they want to ban fishermen to fish stellwagon... but it is ok for draggers to trawling there.... Politics is involved this.. Money talks.. That's only explanation that I can find being reasonable.

Now, dont even bother to ask about freshwater licenses fee going to! Because someone are keep pocketing our fishing license money instead that money going to fish stock like as salmon or pike or something like that. Then have balls to tell me that they have to terminate our stocks due to not sufficent fund to support it.. I find it hard to believe it since more new fishermen are rising at every year.

p.s. I always getting stopped by Coast Guard for fish check or boat inspection. In which, I never has any issue with them. But you should have seen whole fleet disappeared when coast guard stopped my boat. Therefore, they are one who doing the illegals stuff or don't have proper licenses to do it.

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 am

i agree 10000000000% with aguaman!!!

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

It's fair to ask what the money is used for so here it is:

All permit fees are deposited in a dedicated account, managed by MarineFisheries. An advisory panel assists MarineFisheries in developing programs for the expenditure of all collected funds. In accordance with the state law governing the permit program, the permit fee revenues can only be used to administer the permit program, improve the management of Massachusetts's marine recreational fisheries, particularly with regard to developing more accurate assessments of recreational catch and effort, and enhance recreational fishing access opportunities in the state. The permit fee revenues cannot be used for any purpose that is unrelated to marine recreational fishing in Massachusetts. Please visit the Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Fund page for more information.

Personally, I have no problem paying $10 to be in compliance.

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:06 pm

I would just like to physically see what all of that money year after year is legitimately being spent on, to justify us having to continue paying it. Them saying "Its not spent on anything but our Marine Fisheries" is all fine and dandy, but I'd just like to see the fruits of our labor so to speak out there on the water. ie: More public boat launches, cleaner beaches, less stringent regulations (since they say us having to pay money keeps the fisheries in check) - which in my opinion is a load of malarkey. But that's just me, I appreciate the input though Bloo! - and yea I've always seen the big draggers haul ass when the EP or Coasties show up at Stellwagon and Jeffrey's Ledge.

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 pm

If i may add my 2 cents to this whole thing.
The original idea of the permit as they "say" was to keep track of fish being caught there was supposed to be a web site where can go on and put in info. But that never happened.

The big draggers aren't supposed too fish Stellwagon it is a wildlife preserve.
Personally I don't mind the CG or the EPO they do a good job they have a lot of water to cover with little money. I have been fishing the cape, Boston, and the New England coast for over 4o years.
I have seen some scary boaters and fishermen out there people taking under size fish killing a blue fish because they have teeth, not knowing the difference between a cod and ling cod.

Going top end inside Boston harbor there is a speed limit there to the end of the airport.
I just wish they would enforce it more and get rid of some of the idiots with boats fine the s*** out of them...

I think the state should do what N.H. does make every body pass a boating course.

The $10.00 bucks for a permit to me is not an issue for me this is taxassachusetts you know.

Just my rant okay I am done

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links