Does anyone know where I can go and catch some scup, preferably offshore or off the rocks. I live in RI, but I remember catching them down the Cape many years ago.
Any suggestions would be great!
esb

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Scup are plentiful all along the southern Massachusetts and RI border.

If you have a small craft, even a row boat, you can row out about a hundred yards. Drop an anchor and bottom fish.

They love clams or any shellfish meat. They are fun to catch and put up a nice little fight on fresh-water tackle. When I go out with my friends out of Fairhaven, we'll catch them, cut off their fins and then live line them as stripers and blues will eat them.

Any place off a jetty if you don't have a boat should work in the warmer waters in Buzzards Bay and of course Rhode Island. More fun than scup though, on the same bait, would be black sea bass. They live in the same waters, are heavier, and put up a whale of a fight on light tackle. Tautog are also a nice fish. This is all bottom fishing with clams, seaworms, mussels, squid, etc.

Good Luck Go Fish

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 am

Thank you very much.

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:37 am

there's a place in wesport,MA called gooseberry island/neck(it's a location in my profile, and pics of the scup i've caught also) that's awesome for scup and also tautog. that's my go to spot for scup fishing, I was there a few weeks ago and caught half a dozen keepers, the smallest being 10 and 1/2 inches and the largest being 12 and 1/2 inches. there's a lot where you can park your vehicle( get there early cause it fills up fast) and you can walk the shoreline, or trails to different fishing spots on the whole island. it's definitely a great place for scup fishing.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links