Hey Guys,

I've been wanting to get into kayak fishing for a while now but have limited resources and space. I think I might get this: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE370-Inflatable-Package/dp/B001ASRVDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366068544&sr=8-1&keywords=sea+eagle+370 I did a lot of research on inflatables and people seem to be happy with this one.

I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has any experience with this boat. It seems to fit my needs perfectly for price and storage and I'll be able to take my wife out with me when she wants to go. To be clear, I live in a small apartment with almost no land around the building to speak of and I have a small car. I really just want the option to get off the shore when I want to. Eventually I want to get a SOT that I can outfit to my specifications but there are higher things on my priority list right now.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Def. looks nice i have a buddy who fishes out of an inflatable kayak and he loves and it works very well.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm

kizel13

Def. looks nice i have a buddy who fishes out of an inflatable kayak and he loves and it works very well.

That's good to know, thanks Very Happy

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Ive talked to a lot of people who have down played inflatable kayaks for fishing but everyone i know who has used/owned one likes them i brought him up cuz he was the most recent one i can think of

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm

It's hard to tell how good it will be for fishing. There's a couple Amazon reviews from people saying they used it for that and Sea Eagle says it will work but the info is limited. My thought is that if it gets me out on the water, tracks decent, and doesn't break the bank then I will be happy. I don't expect to win any races with it but if it will hold me and a fishing crate then I am in.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 pm

The problem is that it won't track at all, and the wind'll blow it around like a balloon. It's really more of a pool toy.

Have you considered a float tube? They are made for fishing, smaller and less expensive than the Sea Eagle.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 am

bloomagoo

The problem is that it won't track at all, and the wind'll blow it around like a balloon. It's really more of a pool toy.

Have you considered a float tube? They are made for fishing, smaller and less expensive than the Sea Eagle.

I appreciate the input. Have you tried a Sea Eagle? There's a bunch of youtube videos out there on these and it seems they track rather well for inflatables due to the pair of skegs on the bottom of the boat. Not interested in a float tube but thanks for the suggestion.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 am

As a reasonably experienced kayak fisherman I can say that I have never paddled a Sea Eagle. I have been on the Charles when two other guys were fishing out of them so I only know from what I saw -- that they had had little to no control in the wind and current on a nice day. God help them if they get caught on a lake when the weather turns bad.

I understand your space limitations and I'm not advising you to not purchase this. But I am trying to help you understand the risks and benefits. If you are only going to be paddling on warm, calm days then this boat is fine.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:45 am

bloomagoo

As a reasonably experienced kayak fisherman I can say that I have never paddled a Sea Eagle. I have been on the Charles when two other guys were fishing out of them so I only know from what I saw -- that they had had little to no control in the wind and current on a nice day. God help them if they get caught on a lake when the weather turns bad.

I understand your space limitations and I'm not advising you to not purchase this. But I am trying to help you understand the risks and benefits. If you are only going to be paddling on warm, calm days then this boat is fine.

I definitely appreciate the input and this is all really good for me to know. Thanks Smile

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 am

i know you are not interested in getting a float tube but to give it a thought would be great idea I got one for small ponds last year the things amazing plus it inflates and its very comfortable and depending on the model there is more then enough storage available.. another benefit is on the dog days of summer it cools you off but its just a thought

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 am

That's what I was thinking. If your goal is to fish and you can only go out on calm days anyway, the float tube makes a ton of sense. It's cheaper, lighter, designed specifically for fishing and more comfortable. I just fear that the novelty of the Sea Eagle will wear off pretty quickly and you'll be wishing you had spent your $300-$400 on a better fishing platform.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 am

Good points all around. Although I should have specified that my wife wants.to be able to go out with me and I really want the paddle workout. Float tube won't do either but I appreciate the suggestions. I will probably pull the trigger on the Sea Eagle very soon. Thanks for your help.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Have you considered a used canoe? There are always some listed on CL.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Got the 370 last week and took it out on Spy Pond with my wife yesterday. I'm very happy with the boat's performance but it's a little tight with the tow of us if I'm trying to fish (lots of hits but no hookups, sadly).

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 am

Congrats on the new boat.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links