So I've been trying multiple places and still have had no luck finding carp. My question is should I be fishing deep or shallow right now. I've been sticking to thd shallows so far.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

You in the River or on a pond / lake?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I usually finish the Concord or merimmack rivers

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 pm

I myself am a Pond / Lake guy for Carp. Talk to Blackstone, he is a River Monster!!! hahahaha all kidding aside

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Bit of both to be fair. Carp in lakes and ponds will follow the warm air and water..this could mean a wind driven cove, sun on the shallows etc. Might start the morning in the deeps and move to the shallows. Really about water craft and trying to sort out the movements right now.

River wise it is tough as the wind doesn't seem to drive them as much. Depends on what parts you are fishing. Tidal fish are still moving with the tides, staying deeper in the warm thermocline..but will readily come into the shallows as they warm and move along as well.

Late fall, winter, early spring there is no exact tell to someone. Like I can't say fish here as each water is reacting differently depending on the depth, currents, sun it is getting, rain recently etc and so on. As the insects hatch and the larvae move about in the water, the fish are waking up and having a good feed on naturals. Finding them, tracking them and catching them can still be tricky right now in many places.

Next month or so they will start really moving and feeding in prep of spawn to come usually early June or so. The action will deffo be picking up, just gotta put some slow time in now to prep for it i think. When it happens, and you are in the right spot..hold on.

It is why I always suggest fishing journals to folks. People laugh lol, but over time it really helps to focus your attempts and helps you understand what the fish do through the year and in various weather. Knowing which river produces where when all others are silent is big when you need to bank a fish and others are blanking.

That said, stick with crossovers between shallow and deep, fish bright colored baits and don't over feed. Other then that, it is really about putting your bait in the right places right now.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:39 pm

This certainly is a tough time. I was actually thinking about starting a journal to log my failures lol. When you fish the tidal waters wich tide is the one you wanna hit? I might try the tidal waters this weekend with welding

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm

I fish for Carp in nthe Concord River all the time, and 90% of the time I get them within 10 feet of the shore. I got two closer than that today and lost 3 more.

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links