Greetings all,
New member here, and decade-long resident of the greatest area in all the land, Central Mass.

I'm originally from South Alabama, and grew up fishing 40lb catfish out of the delta. Done some bow fishing for flounder; jug fishing for cats; net casting; and crabbing. We grew up without much money, so we fished for food, and thus had to be rather good at it.

Now I live in New England, and I couldn't be any more out of my element. Any fishing knowledge I've put to use up here has proven ineffective on New England fish, or the results of my efforts were thwarted by some rather puritanical game laws. Since being here, I've fished for salmon, lakers, and pike with zero luck - in fact, all I ever catch are 8 inch smallies.

I figured I'd join up to pick the brains of the folks who appear to know what they're doing. It's been a while since I literally put dinner on the table with my own two hands (working, buying food, and cooking doesn't count), so I'm very much looking forward to learning how to properly fish this area.

That said, are most of you guys sport fisherman? Like is catch-and-release the way things are done here, or is it kosher to actually eat what you catch?

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:36 pm

iagreewithjamie

Greetings all,
New member here, and decade-long resident of the greatest area in all the land, Central Mass.

I'm originally from South Alabama, and grew up fishing 40lb catfish out of the delta. Done some bow fishing for flounder; jug fishing for cats; net casting; and crabbing. We grew up without much money, so we fished for food, and thus had to be rather good at it.

Now I live in New England, and I couldn't be any more out of my element. Any fishing knowledge I've put to use up here has proven ineffective on New England fish, or the results of my efforts were thwarted by some rather puritanical game laws. Since being here, I've fished for salmon, lakers, and pike with zero luck - in fact, all I ever catch are 8 inch smallies.

I figured I'd join up to pick the brains of the folks who appear to know what they're doing. It's been a while since I literally put dinner on the table with my own two hands (working, buying food, and cooking doesn't count), so I'm very much looking forward to learning how to properly fish this area.

That said, are most of you guys sport fisherman? Like is catch-and-release the way things are done here, or is it kosher to actually eat what you catch?

Welcome to MAFF

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:18 pm

iagreewithjamie

Greetings all,

Welcome. Really depends on the fish. For game fish such as bass, pike etc its mostly catch and release. The fish population just isnt what it is down south and just wont survive taking everything we catch

A lot of the lakes and ponds are stocked with trout, you can find the stock listings on the Mass Wildlife web site. This is where most of the keeping of fish happens.

Lakers and Salmon can be had in a few bodies of water but I have no expertise in that area.

If your looking to eat what you catch, saltwater is big in MA. From Worcester you can get to a few areas within 90 min.

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:20 pm

I joined the Air Force in 1995 and was eventually stationed in Arkansas. I feel your pain. I couldn't catch anything of size for a while. Thought I was a good fisherman until I got there and was promptly humbled.

I just kept fishing and learned how to catch them. Depth was the biggest challenge. Deep up here is often still fairly shallow. Down in Arkansas, lakes would be 70 feet deep four inches off shore, you know. And I'd be fishing topwater! Haha.

My (probably obvious) advice: keep fishing, you'll figure it out. =)

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 pm

I too was in the Air Force. Was stationed at Moody AFB, GA and picked up the fishing habit there. Went to Korea and then to Luke AFB, AZ and got back into fishing again. Moved to MA in 98 and hadn't touched a rod and reel for 17 years and am now getting back into it.
The fish are the same, just the patterns have changed. Largemouth Bass still like to hang around structure. I am no pro at it, that's for sure, but half the fun of fishing is figuring them out..... I used to love to stand on the deck of my buddy's big bass boat, stand up and cast all day long..... but here I have gone the way of the kayak, seems as though there are a butt load more small bodies of water than there are big and that's where you'll find me on weekends. Good luck and keep pluggin away!!

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:20 am

fdw9652

I too was in the Air Force. Was stationed at Moody AFB, GA and picked up the fishing habit there. Went to Korea and then to Luke AFB, AZ and got back into fishing again. Moved to MA in 98 and hadn't touched a rod and reel for 17 years and am now getting back into it.

I did my time in Korea as well. Kunsan. It was a year-long party. I had a blast.

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 am

Welcome! I was an air force brat who grew up fishing the south too. My old man retired and we made it back to MA in time for high school.

Eating fish: It's certainly not the south (quantities and sizes of fish). You can eat fish, but most places warn, at a minimum, for pregnant woman and kids not to eat em. I'm not that hard up for a meal, but anytime I do well catfishing, I certainly think about it... Saltwater eat up.

Like everyone else has said...

How to fish here: I'd really recommend a few things to get started. -) Live bait mixed with artificials so you learn where they are and don't get skunked -) Fish the smaller ponds... The best freshwater we have going for us is largemouth and pickerel in every little hole over an acre or two... While the big lakes hold fish, they don't have the shad/baitfish populations the south does which are so critical on the food chain. That being said, while there are 'salmon and pike', the populations are generally weak, non-reproducing stocked fish.

You're in the Worcester area... The CT river is the closest you're going to get to 'southern fishing.' Lots of baitfish, along with walleye, bass, etc... You can also catch chanel cats out there, but a 20 pounder is rare (expect 1-10 pound fish).

-) If you are going saltwater fishing, plan on many skunkings until you learn what to do and where to do it...

-) You like hauling up fish and having a bunch of meat... Go on a groundfish charter boat for loads of cool fish you can eat.... 1/2 and full day cod trips are pretty inexpensive on the boats that take 10-20 people, and you'll hook up with loads of big fish.

Keep visiting the site!

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links