I'm looking for some recommendations on a DIY Stakeout Pole for my Kayak.

Anyone have some good instructions or pictures that I can borrow (steal)?

As others have said, anchors can be a real pain sometimes so this would be a good compromise for shallow water.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

Doh! Thanks , I should have thought of that before posting.

I think I remember you saying that you have one in another thread. Did you build it yourself? If so, is there a particular video/DIY that you followed?

thanks

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey John, I really didn't follow a particular vid, the first one I made was from PVC, it was simple, and since then I've made others, but now I'm seriously considering a telescoping one like in the first vid. If you'll be fishing in waters deeper than 6' then you may want to consider a telescoping feature for convenience.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 pm

you can get the telescoping 15ft one at walmart for $12.97. I got one but haven't used it yet.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for posting those links, Timmo. Info will be put to good use.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Have you had a chance to test these out on the water. I anchor up a lot, but the wind ends up pushing the end of the boat in the wrong direction. What a ptia. Do you use just one or is two a better option. If there easy and cheap i might just do this in the next few weeks.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:54 pm

I just got around to checking out those videos.

The first one is about as simple as you can get and isn't very expensive. I think I might have to try that out.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

angryjohn

Have you had a chance to test these out on the water. I anchor up a lot, but the wind ends up pushing the end of the boat in the wrong direction. What a ptia. Do you use just one or is two a better option. If there easy and cheap i might just do this in the next few weeks.

I've never thought about using two stakeout poles. I have been using them for over a year now and it works well for me, because I am able to use it with the anchor trolly system or through one of the scupper holes. Each one I have made out of pvc cost less than $10. Wish you luck and update this message board with your input on it if you try it out.

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 am

jjbagoose

I just got around to checking out those videos.

The first one is about as simple as you can get and isn't very expensive. I think I might have to try that out.

Give us an update after you try it out, I'm sure others would appreciate your feedback.

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 am

timmo

through one of the scupper holes.

Good call on using the scupper holes. I'll have to give that a shot.

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 am

Have the golf ball retriever one, with the leash as well as a small tube mounted to the side of the canoe that the pole slides into, firmly anchors it. Considering adding another one up front for shallow water stability.

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links