Every season I get reved up for some carp fishing, but after a few unsuccessful trips I find I get burned out. I do mostly active fishing and the sitting and waiting coupled with a few other issues really sour me on the experience. So now I find out a few of my spots I fish have some huge carp in them and I'm looking to give it one more shot. Will I still have a good shot? I've heard in the past they're more active in the may-june time frame, but I still do see them swimming by.

I mainly need help properly setting a rig. The bait is so light, but also messy. I also get OCD wondering if the bait (dough bait) stuck on to the hook, as often times it'll end up sliding right off without me noticing. I've tried the corn approach, and similar issues regarding the weight problem, and the other issue being that the ducks come by and clean out the chum. I was thinking of walking the line out and setting a "trap" so to speak. Any other tips? I figure I can set a trap and do some bass fishing in the mean time.

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:19 am

use an egg sinker and then tie your main line to a swivel. Tie a fluoro leader to the other side of the swivel. Look up how to do a hair rig. Also, corn may be a better option, as it won't fall of as easily. Also, wait a month (October) to go for the Carp. They'll be more active once it cools down.

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 am

Hair rig is only usable if you have the baiting needle to put the bait on the hair.

Like BayState said, wait till October if you don't have too much time to target them. October is a much better time. But if you are seeing them swim by, like right now, they should be catchable without too much trouble.

Bread is prime for sight fishing. Pinch a ball of the white part of a slice of bread over a small (size 6, maybe 4) hook, and just cast it in front of where the carp is heading.

If you don't see them, just put a few kernels of corn on a size 6 hook with an egg sinker rig. leave your bail open, or your rod will be gone. Chum in some too around where you're fishing.

There are more complex rigs, using the European stuff (hair rigs, etc.), but this will still catch you carp.

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:38 am

Yeah I've done a few hair rigs in the past and they turned out a bit sloppy, gotta clean that up a bit this time around. Thanks for the suggestions, gonna wait a few weeks and report back!

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links