Does anyone know if stocked trout will spawn?
If so, when?

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 am

I just read some article that after a few weeks, stocked trout start to exhibit the same traits and characteristics as native trout. Plus, they stock breeder sized trouts to help out. Based on that logic, after a few weeks, if it's breeding time, they're breeding. Not sure exactly when they breed, but if you hear some jazz out on the water and see trout holding wine glasses, it's showtime.

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 am

they gotta make it to breeding time first...

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

My last 2 trips to Horn pond I was amazed to see rainbow trout in a foot of water? The water temps are in the 80's, which I thought was way to warm for trout. Also, Horn pond is pretty heavily fished, so I didn't think that there many if any trout really left.
Anyone have any thoughts on why trout were so shallow? Confused

Posted Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am

as far as breeding,what volume said.As far as the shallow trout I can only guess.Hot water is low in oxygen,maybe the wave action pushed them on the shore or had them in for a breather,maybe there was some forage there,maybe a released fish in bad shape but what I really think is it/they might of been stocked recently(this year,not a holdover).A hatchery raised trout is used to swimming around the edges of its tank.If you ever noticed stocked trout tend to swim laps around the edge of the pond.This is evident if you watch the fishing action.your poles get hit then the guy down from you gets hit and so on.If you watch the guys in boats trolling for trout and salmon,they usually arent more than a couple casts off shore.I know you asked about trout but,brood stock salmon will not,they are at the end of their sexual prime and no longer useful to breeding operations.Also hybrid fish are sterile,so you can count Tigers out.

Last edited by bam on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 am

They can and do. In fact some waters various groups get up in arms because stocked rainbow trout will compete for and with native cutthroat trout for breeding grounds...in some cases leading to hybrids and a decline in native trout stocks.

They tend to spawn in the spring. There is a great article on the species here ;

[url] http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/fall01%20projects/rainbow%20trout.htm [/url]

Here are a couple of articles about the interbreeding and other problems with stocking.

http://www.tu.org/conservation/watershed-restoration-home-rivers-initiative/s-fork-snake-river-id/cutthroat-rainbow-trout-hybridization

http://www.tetonwater.org/programs_cutthroat.php

@ Fishingreek there are a number of reasons that could be...80's are indeed hot for trout. This is why stocking of put and take fish is not always a good idea..we are placing them in environments they would not normally be in for our own pleasure. I digress though; They could be finding cooler water if the wind is blowing the shallows, or there could be a food source they are looking for as rainbows will travel quite a lot to find food, or depleted dissolved oxygen levels of deeper water may be pushing them shallower. These are just a few reasons that could be..

Posted Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 pm

They may have been brown trout. Brown trout have a much higher tollerance for warm water. They can live into the high eighties. That is why they are the best to stock in small personel ponds. Trout often come to the shallows to feed so perhaps they were brownies.

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:12 pm

The fall trout stocking started on Sept. 27th and last two weeks. Go to the Mass. Fish and Wildlife website to check the ponds in your area. I live on the north shore and here is my list to get some trout:
Jamacia Pond, Sluice Pond, Horn Pond, Houghtons Pond and Saltonstall Lake.

Good Luck..

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:50 am

got 2 keepers and 2 got away at cochituate today.

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Nice,yup all the spots should be stocked now.According to F&G website,fall stocking is completed by Columbus Day.

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links