I'm new to striper fishing. Looking for some tips!

-no boat, so where are good spots to fish off land? Near Boston? NH?
-time of day?
-bait?
-line weight?
-lures?
-weights?

Any other advice for a newbie would e GREAT!!! Thanks!!

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Where are you close to and what type and size rod are you using?

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I would encourage you to try fishing at night or right before day break which is when the bass is more active feeding. If you are looking to surfcast there are plenty of spots such as jettys or river mouths like the merrimack river mouth in newburyport. Usually I like to use 30 lb braid and if you fishing bottom then you can use mackrel, clams, live eels or sea worms, the rigs are fairly simple and most bait shops will sell a complete rig for about$1.75 which usually is a 3oz weight with a stronng mono leader and a bait hook. I like to always bait a few rods and have one rod to do some casting, maybe a bucktail or some top water or swimbaits while I wait for something to bite. If you are willing to do some traveling , I have been very lucky down at the cape cod canal with live eels of the scusset beach jetty and also using swimbaits, the canal has always produced very large bass at night.

this website has lots of good info as well, worth checking it out
http://myfishingcapecod.com

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 am

I live just North of Boston. Thoughts?

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 pm

haven't fished from shore in a while I used to like fishing like the saugus river for schoolies with rattle traps and poppers. If you are looking to go bigger, I would say surfcast setup, deveraux bearch or cranes, or off nahant, marblehead, salem. They can be anywhere.

Was up to Old Orchard Beach a few weeks back and as the tide was coming in just about every day, there were schools of 30 inch plus fish coming right up in knee high water.

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links