i want to go for stripers but i dont know what type of lures or bait to use or whether i should go to a river outlet or a beach for some surfcasting.
i had stopped at parents marina in pawtucket RI and watched some guys snagging some (i think this is what they called them) pogies and puting them on a hook and throwing them back out there. how big do you think that the hooks were, where and how would you hook the baitfish and is this the best way to catch stripers?

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 pm

There are a lot of ways..I'll try to put a few out there, least from my experience.

I tend to surf-cast a lot, in fact mainly it is the only type of salt-water fishing I do. Have a nice 10+ foot pole able to cast up to 8 ounces etc etc. I like to use Pogy and/or squid cut baits but then again I also go after Scup, Fluke, Stripers and such so the wide variety of what I can catch with these two simple and cheap baits makes me happy.

Pogy go for about 1.50 each at a bait store fresh and will give a lot of cut bait for each pogy . Usually 1.50 or so for 3 frozen..but they tend to be a bit more squishy frozen. Squid is usually 3.00 per pound/frozen. Again why I said cheap..6 bucks usually covers me a weekend of surf-casting...

I like to use fish-finder rigs. You can look this up for more in depth descriptions but in a nutshell:

Rig your weight to allow the mainline to run freely through it. I tie a swivel at the end of the line. I will snell a hook and a bit back from that I place a float to allow the hook to rise from the bottom and kinda free float around at various depths, then tie that off to whatever connector. Usually I would say 12-18inch length in total is what I use. Like I said take a look on Yahoo for "fish-finder rig" to get better idea.

Apparently Tube and worm rig is pretty hot in RI, least the Charleston(sp?) area if what I have been reading around is accurate, right now.

So what is this? and I quote:
The tube is actually surgical tubing cut in lengths ranging from 12 to 36 inches. Most anglers use tubes in the 12 to 24-inch range. The actual tube is rigged with a swivel on top, connected to wire that runs through the tube, which is connected to a hook that juts out on the backside of the tube.

Anglers will then "tip" the hook with a piece or whole sandworm. It is then trolled at very slow speeds.

from
http://www.canoekayak.com/kayak-fishing/tube/

Outside of that all sorts of things from live eels, large spoons, bass lures etc etc have been known to work. The one great thing about saltwater is, most of these fish are just hungry and if anything looks/smells or even slightly resembles food you will get something at some point.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 am

what beaches do you go to?
thanks for the info. really helps. do you know of any baitshops that sell saltwater bait?

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:38 pm

timwag2001

what beaches do you go to?
thanks for the info. really helps. do you know of any baitshops that sell saltwater bait?

Yeah they have a list on Ma marine fisheries site, linky to bait dealers below

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/dealers/dealers_bait.htm#b

If you click on New Bedford, I go to Dockside Bait most of the time.

I tend to fish Buzzards bay alot, either near Seaview in Fairhaven or I paddle out to some of the rocks near Little river bridge/south Dartmouth area (theres a nice rip-current out there between the inlet and the sandbar.)

Also spend some time hitting up the Cape Cod canal, though not as much as I would like to sometimes.

So far this year I have had some nice fish from around..anything from Dogfish to Stripers. Kept a few nice sized scup as they are one of my lady-friends favorites.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links