Hello to all
I just joined this site basically for trout! I buy my fishing license every year since I was 20 but trout are toughest for me to catch. I catch largemouth bass all the time with 8lb test but tried that for trout and not even a bite! I have heard from my buddies that 2-4lb is good depending on experience. I use powerbait but is it even possible to catch em with 8lb? I want some dinner so a few tips would be great.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm

ampedtofish

Hello to all
I just joined this site basically for trout! I buy my fishing license every year since I was 20 but trout are toughest for me to catch. I catch largemouth bass all the time with 8lb test but tried that for trout and not even a bite! I have heard from my buddies that 2-4lb is good depending on experience. I use powerbait but is it even possible to catch em with 8lb? I want some dinner so a few tips would be great.

im no trout expert but from what ive fished and have seen others fish i would say your 8lb should be fine just tie on a lighter leader, typical example of a trout rig would be say your 8lb main line with a 1/2 or 3/8 oz egg sinker and a bead to a small swivel,from the swivel to hook tie on a fluorocarbon leader of say maybe 4 to 6 lb test roughly 2 to 3 feet long then your hook and powerbait. so basically your 8 lb should be fine on your spool just tie on a lighter leader to not freak out spooky fish. best of luck!

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm

I agree with you, trout is harder to catch for most of people. trout fishing is easy when it comes to me. I used meal worm on bobber, nightclawer on sinker, small spoons/inline spinner for them. My secret weapon so far was wooly bugger on bobber. caught over 150 trouts so far in this month.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:10 pm

I would fish a 6lb test main line when bottom fishing unless you are using a Braid or Fire line . Then you can use a higher lb test and not lose distance when casting because of their smaller diameter. When I fish moving water river /stream I use 4 lb test with a barrel swivel and a fluorocarbon leader.. Good Luck ..

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input I seen a fly fisherman catching one trout after another I asked him what the heck are you using! He says a wooly bugger I am like I dont know how to fly fish he said its ok they sell them as a spinner try Joes Flies wooly bugger. I never got around to that but I will try that to.

Have not used a bobber since I was a kid though I set up like bassinbrookys explained but have the worst luck. Like I said I eat my catch and have never caught the legal limit of 3 in a day. These dam trout are a pain in the butt! I like the challenge of trout fishing but it sure can test my patience.

I am a large mouth and striped bass fisherman but correct me if I'm wrong striped arent in yet? So I I do not eat Large mouth bass but trout? FOR SURE NOM NOM NOM.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

haha, yeah. no problem. I tend to use bobber when days are necessary to use it. Most of time, I use it because fly cant cast that far with spinner rod. so bobber surely helps. just do same thing as you do with jerk-bait lure. Patience is key in this situation.

I don't blame you. I only eat several fishes. trout and striper bass is one of them that i am eating. Also, front of migrate stripers are here. I can confirm that. Just schoolies. However, I heard that someone caught 30 pounds striper but it was holdover striper. In which, it is surprised me.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm

deaffisherman

I agree with you, trout is harder to catch for most of people. trout fishing is easy when it comes to me. I used meal worm on bobber, nightclawer on sinker, small spoons/inline spinner for them. My secret weapon so far was wooly bugger on bobber. caught over 150 trouts so far in this month.

It ain't secret anymore Very Happy

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Nah, it is not secret anyway. But I mean, if they even tried do that method, it only give them confidence to catch some. The result is not what they will be expect when they tried it consist.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Trout have excellent vision. I thought 6 lb flourocarbon would be fine, I was wrong. I was fishing at Jamacia Pond and I could see at least 10 to 15 trout I think they were browns in 2'to 4' of water and they would follow my lure and turn away within a foot of the lure. I was hidden behind a tree so they would not see me but something was keeping them from striking the lure. I tied on spinners, spoons, small Rapala's, plastics, you name it I tried it. I'm convinced it was the line. The fish were larger than the normal stocked fish they were at least 20" long. It was in the middle of a sunny day with no wind, this did'nt help. I'm not sure if 4lb test would have helped but I would of liked to have had a lighter line with me...

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 pm

johnyak

Trout have excellent vision. I thought 6 lb flourocarbon would be fine, I was wrong. I was fishing at Jamacia Pond and I could see at least 10 to 15 trout I think they were browns in 2'to 4' of water and they would follow my lure and turn away within a foot of the lure. I was hidden behind a tree so they would not see me but something was keeping them from striking the lure. I tied on spinners, spoons, small Rapala's, plastics, you name it I tried it. I'm convinced it was the line. The fish were larger than the normal stocked fish they were at least 20" long. It was in the middle of a sunny day with no wind, this did'nt help. I'm not sure if 4lb test would have helped but I would of liked to have had a lighter line with me...

while fishing for browns at quinsig i was using 8 lb berkley nanofil which is white and i was fishing small jerkbaits and a small cotton cordell super spot both of which got attacked by brown trouts in the 3 lb range but i couldnt land them cause i am stupid and cant catch trout to save my life lol but my point anyways was that the 8 lb line i was using is white and because its nanofil it is very finicky with 99%of knots so i didnt bother with a leader just to keep things simple and it didnt seem to deter the trout from trying to hammer my lures. im sure water clarity has alot to do with it though also

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, water clarify play huge role on color line and small diameter line. (I have clear white and green colors rigged on two rods. I used both on everyday to check which trouts biting more) So, that way, I don't have to worry about get skunked! haha

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:18 pm

They just would not hit. I know they would have hit a rainbow trout 2" Rapala looking lure because one of the larger trout had one hanging off is bottom lip.
That's what made it easy to find the school the colors of the lure were eas to see in the bright sun.
I only had limited lures with me...

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 pm

johnyak

They just would not hit. I know they would have hit a rainbow trout 2" Rapala looking lure because one of the larger trout had one hanging off is bottom lip.
That's what made it easy to find the school the colors of the lure were eas to see in the bright sun.

wow that would have been awsome to catch that one! its like getting a box of cereal with a prize in it lol. Wink

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

deaffisherman

Yeah, water clarify play huge role on color line and small diameter line. (I have clear white and green colors rigged on two rods. I used both on everyday to check which trouts biting more) So, that way, I don't have to worry about get skunked! haha

Good idea...

I would think that the flourocarbon 6lb I used would work better. I know the fish saw the line though. They would follow look at it within 6" and turn away. Also is I reeled slow they would not even follow it. Only when I burned it would they even check it out, as soon as I slowed down or stopped they swam away...

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm

bassinbrooksy

johnyak

wow that would have been awsome to catch that one! its like getting a box of cereal with a prize in it lol. Wink

That's what I was thinking at the time, trust me that's the one I was casting to...LMAO

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links