There hasn't been too much discussion amoung the fly fishers lately, so anybody got any reports or stories? How 'bout the Swift- anybody fished it recently? I've only made a few trips this summer, and on my last one I hooked 3, but didn't get any into the net. Ants rose the fish.

One thing I was wondering is have any of you guys had success on the Swift with terrestrials? The fish are normally extremely picky, but it seems like in the summer they start focus in on the big 'ol hoppers and beetles floating down the river. I used to fish microscopic midges year 'round, but now I fish almost exclusively terrestrials from May to early September. I land more fish and bigger fish than when I fish midges. And you get to fish on top, which I prefer over nymphing. I fish terrestrials all over the river, and usually sight fishing is the most effective way to fish 'em. And yet another advantage- the fish don't examine the flies as closely as midges, so I can use my hand tied flies- even the bad ones that I would normally toss. I use hoppers, beetles, ants, inch worms, cicadas, damselflies, dragonflies, bees, and even some outrageous looking foam creations, including chernobyl ants and such. So what'd you guys think?

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm

I was there about a month ago. Caught one on red size 22 nymph and had two hookups using an ant. My buddy caught one on a white nymph and another on a sulphur. Based on discussions with others on the river that day terrestrials were working. Also, the river was elbow to elbow and recent reports say more of the same since. Not so fun to fish when you risk hitting your neighbor on every cast. Think I'll find other water to fish.

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Yeah, I usually just go on a weekday and hope to avoid the crowds, but its really the only river I know of nearby my house. It can be quite a walk to find an open spot on the Swift, though.

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Tried the Quaboag river in Palmer off of RT 67 ?

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Actually, I have never tried the Quaboag River, despite living about 30 minutes from it. Whats it like? Clear, fast, etc? I actually never even knew there were trout there! Thanks.

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 pm

And from what I've read it has several stocked tributaries... Wonder if those are any good for fly fishing. I know of a lot of small streams which are wiped out a month after stocking from heavy catch & keep pressure.

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi, I just joined, and couldn't help but notice this thread. The Swift River is probably the best fly fishing for trophy rainbows in Massachusetts, and although the trout are picky, it's not as hard to catch them as advertised. Terrestrials are unbeatable in the summer, but all sorts of other patterns work.

For me, my best all around Swift Fly is a soft hackle. The Millers River Fly Fishing Forum has a few other good flies. But the best way to catch the biggest trout in the stretch you're fishing is to throw a mouse! A deer hair or foam mouse with a long tail will absolutely produce fish if you fish it at dusk in the calmest water you can find. I've caught up to ten fish and hour using this technique at about 9:00 PM. Cast near the shore and strip it across the river. The explosions are incredible! this works in the Y Pool too.

As far as other rivers nearby, the Quaboag (as mentioned earlier) is pretty good, and I've had success throwing streamers there. The Quinapoxet is pretty good if you enjoy fishing for small stream trout, and near it is Fish Brook, which also holds some trout.

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 pm

teamtrout

Hi, I just joined, and couldn't help but notice this thread. The Swift River is probably the best fly fishing for trophy rainbows in Massachusetts, and although the trout are picky, it's not as hard to catch them as advertised. Terrestrials are unbeatable in the summer, but all sorts of other patterns work.

For me, my best all around Swift Fly is a soft hackle. The Millers River Fly Fishing Forum has a few other good flies. But the best way to catch the biggest trout in the stretch you're fishing is to throw a mouse! A deer hair or foam mouse with a long tail will absolutely produce fish if you fish it at dusk in the calmest water you can find. I've caught up to ten fish and hour using this technique at about 9:00 PM. Cast near the shore and strip it across the river. The explosions are incredible! this works in the Y Pool too.

Awsome. Enjoyed reading this

As far as other rivers nearby, the Quaboag (as mentioned earlier) is pretty good, and I've had success throwing streamers there. The Quinapoxet is pretty good if you enjoy fishing for small stream trout, and near it is Fish Brook, which also holds some trout.

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Are terrestrials still working at the Swift? Hoppers, beetles, inchworms? Not sure if anybody's been there recently, but worth a shot to ask...

Thanks, Troy

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links