I'm taking a family trip up to New Hampshire later this week, and I've been planning to hit up the Pemagewasset River in or near Lincoln to see if I could catch some rainbows or hopefully my first brookie. I know flies are the way to go for trout, but I have never owned or used a flyrod and am planning on throwing small spoons and inline spinners. Mark (deaffisherman) has already given me some good tips, but does anyone have any tips regarding lure color and technique to fish the river to get into some trout, specifically brookies? Any feedback of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:21 am

You can also “float” fish for trout on the river. I would recommend the Thill mini shy bite floats, which are very small, to suspend Berkley honey worms, on #10 eagle claw bait holder hooks. Depending on the force of the current you might have to add split shot to keep the presentation in the strike zone.

You can also use a trout bead as an attractor/split shot stop. (Keeps the split shot from sliding down toward the hook if you don’t want it there.)

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Berkley-PowerBait-1-Power-Honey-Worm-for-Trout-and-Panfish

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Thill-Mini-Shy-Bite-Float

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Troutbeads[/url]

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 pm

It's been hot out trout, at least in my experience are very tough to catch in this weather but can still be caught. Black and gold rooster tails are a favorite of mine for rainbows. Gold little cleo works well also, Joe's flies are excellent also. Cast upstream and let the current do most of the work, you should be able to hook into some nice rainbows or brookies that way.

Happy hunt.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:00 pm

It's been hot out trout, at least in my experience are very tough to catch in this weather but can still be caught. Black and gold rooster tails are a favorite of mine for rainbows. Gold little cleo works well also, Joe's flies are excellent also. Cast upstream and let the current do most of the work, you should be able to hook into some nice rainbows or brookies that way.

Happy hunt.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 pm

IvE fished for trout on the peg before. I used flys but have had good luck with small grubs on light line. Theres a ton of rocks in there to get hung up on and as for it being to hot. That river is always around 40 degrees even in the hottest months of summer. Theres also a stocked pond with camping called russel pond that has some good rainbows in it. Good luck

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies, today I bought a couple inline spinners including a Joe's Flies "Muddler", a small spoon, and a couple dry flies. I've been researching on how to use a dry fly on a spinning rod and understand lots of people use a clear float on the line. Could I get away with a regular bobber for one or two trips if I used a long leader?

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:19 pm

you can get away with regular bobber. but they has to be super small than normal bobber. I tend use them sometimes if trout are staying certain depth. Split weight is must if you use bobber.

In new york, I use heavy on bobber to fish for salmon/trouts. quite effective way to go.

So, give a time on it. learn the tricks and curve on using bobber. then you will see how fish react. If that bobber scare trout. Forget it, throw it away. use something else.. I would recommend, use big maple leaf. tied it on leaf's stick. still works either way.. Quite difficult to cast it without weight that will pull leaf down.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Purchase some Trout magnet jigs .Check their website on g\how to fish them and have fun !!!
This Brookie was caught on one !!!

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Listen to this guy - troutfreak.. Hes king with trout magnet.

You can use trout bobber with trout magnet. easy way to go.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Spinners are not in there place in a fairly shallow, rocky river.

You're way better off with trout magnets as troutfreak suggested. He really knows his stuff, a quick look through his gallery shows that Very Happy

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Wow that brookie is a beast! I won't be able to get those jig heads by my trip (i'm leaving Thursday) but I definitely wanna pick some up now. Great prices! What do you usually put on them for a plastic?

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 pm

baystateangler

Wow that brookie is a beast! I won't be able to get those jig heads by my trip (i'm leaving Thursday) but I definitely wanna pick some up now. Great prices! What do you usually put on them for a plastic?

Dude just stop in any Dicks Sporting Goods... I can guarantee you'll drive by one on your trip up there. In with their spinnes and trout stuff they will have a rack with small packages of trout magnets. They come with a few jigs and small grub like plastics. Go with brown, meal worm, or white which I usually use.

Look like this... except not pink

http://i.imgur.com/pjqzzTN.png

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 pm

dang it! I was just there today! if only I had known!

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 pm

baystateangler

dang it! I was just there today! if only I had known!

There is a Dicks Sporting Goods in every other city lol. Or t least around me. You will def. go by one when you head up there. Light line too, it's a lot like drifting bait.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Will definitely see about stopping if I see one, and the ride is at least three hours, so I probably will see one. I was also thinking of possibly stopping at AJ's bait and tackle in Meredith on the way if it's not to far off-course.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links