A lot goes into catching big striped bass with live eels. From handling eels to setting the hook, there is plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong. Check out this list for helpful live eel fishing tips that may help you put more big bass in the boat or onto the sand during 2012.

Just click on the link below.

http://myfishingcapecod.com/top-10-tips-productive-live-eel-striped-bass-trip/

Tight lines and take care!

Captain Ryan

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 am

Great info!
I'm not the saltwater pro,But i have read before to take a sock/rag and wet it and roll it in the sand for gripping the eel. Somewhat like mentioned.
I also have been told by a bait shop owner that Strippers like fresh dead eels! The way to do this is sprinkle some tobacco on the eels head prior to using. I guess tobacco will kill the eel very quickly and while still fresh you can cast the eel out without worry of it tangling around stuff.
I don't smoke but i scrapped up enough butts to try this and the killing them part worked. Now i just need to accomplish the catching part!
Again I'm no pro,just passing along info that i have heard but not really experienced.
Good luck to all!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:31 am

Hey Jwall,

Great tip with the tobacco on an eel's head. Never knew you could kill an eel doing that-I will definitely give that a shot during 2012. We do a lot of fresh dead eel trolling and I think that tip could come in handy.

Thanks for chiming in! Nice fish by the way in your picture. Maybe we will eventually get some decent ice this winter.

Take care,

Ryan

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Nice, I'm glad that helped!

Thanks, That was last years pike. i had to change my avatar! I need to at least feel like it's winter and i have no new pics to add. ha

I'm not to fired about ice fishing this year unfortunately. Mainly the weather i guess.

Hope to get out a couple times anyway!

Good luck if ya try that method.

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links