100%  [ 4 ]
Never
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Theyre Effin great!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

I was reading online today at work some Chef blogs and online polls and some of the worlds top Seafood Chefs say bluegill are among the top best tasting fish they cook. I find this odd due to the fact I have thrown Back more Sunfish and Bluegill than Keeper fish! Anyone here cook bluegill or have any insight on this? When I fish Comet pond you will hit 1 very large Bluegill to every Yellow perch. I don't think I have ever even Cleaned one.....

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I've tried them one time as a kid, dad decided to scale a few and cook them on the skillet. I remember liking them...all fish with white muscle tastes very similar to me though, not too different from yellow perch.

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:16 pm

I had one as a kid too. They'd need to be big before I bothered now, and I'd need to know the water was clean.

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 am

They're pretty good eating, as long as you can trust the water they've lived in and you have the patience to clean them. We regularly cook up some at my father-in-laws.

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 am

Yeah I've enjoyed them before, specially as a kid in Pa when I'd walk Haycreek and parts of the Schuylkill ( pronounced school kill) filling up a stringer full of them and trout.

Not so much now , mainly out of laziness. I will occasionally take a few home but I'm pretty much the only person in the house that will eat them. I kinda wish more people would eat them though as with some fishing pressure would come bigger sunfish..I mean they can get to 4 pounds or so....now thats a fun panfish!

But they are a bit boney and like perch ya generally need a few to make it worthwhile, fried up in a bit of butter and mild spices they can be downright tasty.

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 pm

I'll tell you all a story that'll seem sad at first---get over yourselves--I am. ....recently I buried my ol' man --as some of you who know me here know---thats why I came back "inland"---Coping ..ya know?
at his calling hours my aunt and her husband(who's FULL BLOOD/peurto-rican fisherman)pull me aside. . .and she tells me..Your father would eat ANYTHING he caught---French Fisherman apparently ALL do. And one of the things that made my uncle love him so much ---his abilty to filet the hell outta 20-30 sunfish for "Kiver-Stew".....we ate this stew every other weekend for my WHOLE DAMN CHILDHOOD....in season of course.
This "thread" is one more reason I LOVE MAFF!maybe I'm not such a 'red-neck" after all hahahahahaaaaaaa

you guys all crack me up !

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 am

[quote="riverrat82"]I'll tell you all a story that'll seem sad at first---get over yourselves--I am. ....recently I buried my ol' man --as some of you who know me here know---thats why I came back "inland"---Coping ..ya know?
at his calling hours my aunt and her husband(who's FULL BLOOD/peurto-rican fisherman)pull me aside. . .and she tells me..Your father would eat ANYTHING he caught---French Fisherman apparently ALL do. And one of the things that made my uncle love him so much ---his abilty to filet the hell outta 20-30 sunfish for "Kiver-Stew".....we ate this stew every other weekend for my WHOLE DAMN CHILDHOOD....in season of course.
This "thread" is one more reason I LOVE MAFF!maybe I'm not such a 'red-neck" after all hahahahahaaaaaaa

you guys all crack me up !
[/quote
hahahah, Now I just Moved away from the deep south where I was working and thought I left all the hillbilly's behind! Well next time I pull some out of Comet Pond I may keep a few big ones an look up a Stew Recipe...... You wouldn't happen to have the Stew Recipe Lying around anywhere would you? On a More Serious note I'm sorry for your Loss.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 am

If its "clean" panfish you seek, head over to the Chestnut hill reservoir. The lake is loaded with them. So much so that they are starting to get stunted. You might also catch some yellow perch or slab crappie. But beware the pickerels as they too lurk in abundance there.

Good luck.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 am

If i were gong to eat fish out of any pond or lake, it would have to be Crystal lake in Newton. Just took my inflatable canoe out there the other day and its some of the cleanest looking water i've ever seen. Its basically created from a natural spring, or so i've read. Caught a 2.4lb largemouth on green senko, i was shocked by how much harder they fight when your in deep water and they have room to make hard pulls. Sorry for going on a tangent, haha.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

If i were gong to eat fish out of any pond or lake, it would have to be Crystal lake in Newton. Just took my inflatable canoe out there the other day and its some of the cleanest looking water i've ever seen. Its basically created from a natural spring, or so i've read. Caught a 2.4lb largemouth on green senko, i was shocked by how much harder they fight when your in deep water and they have room to make hard pulls. Sorry for going on a tangent, haha.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links