Hello everyone just signed up to the site.

I'm thinking of adding a trolling motor to the yak. I know about bassyaks and they actually make a kit for my kayak (Freedom Hawk 14).

I have looked at their setup and think i can create something very similar to it for a lot less money, only problem I'm having is figuring out what I can use as the motor mount at the back of the kayak (don't want the motor on the side)

If I knew how to weld I could make something in about 10 minutes that would do the trick but I don't have any of the equipment for that.

Any ideas on how I could accomplish this or if there is already a product on the market that could be used?

Thanks!

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Bassin420-

I have a different kayak but with a motor mount. It (the motor mount Very Happy ) is made of Trex. It is strong (I use it for a 2hp Honda on my yak), waterproof and easily worked like wood.

Don't know enough about your yak to know if its practical to make your own or not.

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 am

I had the same problem as you, I couldn't see spending $300 for their diy kit when I could build it myself. I welded up a simple mount for the rear and bolted it on, converted the trolling motor so the controls were next to the seat, ran cables to the footbraces for steering and had a bassyak setup for under $50 in parts and elec connections. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYGlKtI_SgE

Here's a real cheap and easy one a guy did for his Hobie kayaks. Maybe something similar can be adapted to other makes?

Posted Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am

Issue - the moment you throw a motor of any kind on your kayak you are required to register it. Just wonderin' if y'all have done that Question

Posted Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I live in NY and putting a 2hp Honda on my Wavewalk kayak meant yes, I had to register it.

The only issue is that the hull is polyethylene and the 3 inch ID letters don't stick well. Anyone have a solution for this?

Posted Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:39 pm

bloomagoo

Issue - the moment you throw a motor of any kind on your kayak you are required to register it. Just wonderin' if y'all have done that Question

Yes, you do have to register it. I think it was $30 or $35 bucks a year. I don't have the trolling motor set up on my new kayak (yet), I had it mounted on my old one. I only used it at larger lakes where it was a long run from my launch area to the fishing spot, Cochituate and Winnipesaukee. I enjoy paddling whenever possible, but the motor did allow me to fish places that where too far to paddle to.
As for the sticking on the reg number. I know with a zodiak you could stick them on a plastic board and hang them over the side with rope, not sure if they allow that for kayak. that way when you don't have the motor on, you don't have to have the ugly 3'' reg # stuck on the side of your kayak.

Posted Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm

bloomagoo, serious??? A trolling motor on a kayak has to be registered? Bizarre. Crying or Very sad

Posted Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 pm

grayrider16

bloomagoo, serious??? A trolling motor on a kayak has to be registered? Bizarre. Crying or Very sad

Any motorized vessel or anything over 14 foot in MA I believe. Just like any canoe would need to be. Its easy and cheap too do. Not sure about original registration but renewing was all done online for my canoe.

Posted Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes they have to be registered and you have to carry a fire extinguisher too.. and then obey all laws pertaining to a motor boat ...

http://www.boat-ed.com/ma/handbook/checklist.htm

Posted Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Outboard motorboats less than 26’, of open construction, not carrying passengers for hire, are not required to carry fire extinguishers.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 am

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links